Looking for Snails!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maine

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
SimplyMaineSeaGlass
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking for Snails!!!

Hello All~
I have just set up my very first planted tank, it's a 29 gallon cube running 2 T5HOs and a T8HO. I'm looking for 20-30 smaller snails to start off with. As of now we have 3 mystery snails but we needs to find a type that will stay small and breed in our tank. We will be adding 5-6 Pygmy Puffer to this tank in the next month or two and they need to eat snails to stay happy and healthy. I'm sure that someone out there has a "snail problem" and we would love to buy some of those snails that you hate so much! Our hopes are to have a heavily infested tank as soon as possible so that we can go get our new fishy friends.
SimplyMaineSeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Underwater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

PM sent.
Underwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Be careful; it is illegal to import freshwater snails into Maine, even for the aquarium hobby. I confirmed this with someone from the Maine DEP a while back.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
sink
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have plenty of pond snails you can steal and a few kinds of plants you can take cuttings from in exchange for a six pack : I'm down in Portland.
sink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

u feed your fish by snail, woo
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
SimplyMaineSeaGlass
Algae Grower

Many types of puffer fish must have snails in their diet to keep them alive. This is not me being mean or wanting to feed snails... this is what my fish need to stay healthy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyMaineSeaGlass View Post
Many types of puffer fish must have snails in their diet to keep them alive. This is not me being mean or wanting to feed snails... this is what my fish need to stay healthy!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't need snails to keep them alive. They need snails to help wear down their teeth and dental plates; otherwise you will find yourself doing dentistry on your fish.

And again, I will caution you that it is against the law to import freshwater snails into the state: "Because they serve as intermediate host for a wide range of aquatic parasites and other pathogens, all snails (Gastropoda) are restricted and can be imported only by a special importation permit with specific health certifications....."

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/sp...ed_species.htm
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

As an avid lover and keeper of pea puffers I have to recommend that you use snails as a treat for their bony teeth plates and not as regular feed. While some puffers seem to hate snails with a vengeance and will spend their entire days stalking them and lining the substrate with shells, it's best not to get them conditioned to only eating snails, because you will run out of snails; unless of course you have a breeding population of a couple hundred on hand to replace the dozens you'll go through weekly.

Try to get your puffers to eat dried shrimp by attaching it to a weight and fishing line to float it in the middle of the tank, or try brine shrimp, or worms, anything to keep them from being conditioned to only accepting snails.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
SimplyMaineSeaGlass
Algae Grower

We are feeding brine shrimp, bloodworms and snails. We just want to offer them the chance to hunt as well!