Big Tank, what would you do? - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #61
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

small first step. the glass is cleaned. quite please how clean it did come though not perfect.
it is outside, filled and given some time to asure there are no leaks.
there is a water line I cant quite remove about 3 inches from the top. the black rim is so thin the water level can not be hidden. though the scale shadow does not show much I dont think it will take anytime for it to look obnoxiuos an fear I wont be able to keep it nice looking. I think I will frame out a nice collar/top so I can keep the water line hidden.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #62
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
small first step. the glass is cleaned. quite please how clean it did come though not perfect.
it is outside, filled and given some time to asure there are no leaks.
there is a water line I cant quite remove about 3 inches from the top. the black rim is so thin the water level can not be hidden. though the scale shadow does not show much I dont think it will take anytime for it to look obnoxiuos an fear I wont be able to keep it nice looking. I think I will frame out a nice collar/top so I can keep the water line hidden.
never heard of them refered to as a collar, or a top. as far as i know, most ppl call them a canopy. anyways, use hydrocloric acid to get rid of anything staining the tank, works wonders. also called muriatic acid, they use it for pools not sure what else. it will work wonders for you. get a like 60 dollar painr brush from home depot and use that to wipe it on ur problem areas. use gloves if ur to scared to mess with it, and respirator, safety glasses. works wonders. and dirt cheap.
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #63
Bruce_S
Planted Member

Neat thing about a tank like this is that the fish will really get a chance to stratify - you can _have_ two or three schools at different levels of the water column!

Those turquoise rainbows are pretty sharp! One of my favorite features of rainbows is that their colors _don't_ settle down - they flash from blue to orange to yellow to green almost the way cuttlefish do.

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #64
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

Azarakiah, I didnt know what to call the rim..doh! it must have been late, lol. but I had not thought of muratic acid! thanks!

Bruce the more I plan the more I am liking it. and I am very intriged with the schoold of fish at differnt levels.
I got the monster wrestled into the house and figured out where it would go...this was no small feet in of itself!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #65
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You can also use vinegar and a razor blade to remove the calcium deposits from the water line.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #66
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

think i would use jungle vals for a back ground and pack the substrate with crypt. Add some massive crazy piece of would and attatch java fern and anubias to it. On the stocking side i would get a nice shoal of cories and some hatchets for the top with altums taking up the middle of the tank.
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #67
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
You can also use vinegar and a razor blade to remove the calcium deposits from the water line.

acid still works better hands down, used 10 year old saltwater tank from someone on craigslist, had it down to mint condition in less than 30 min, acid literally melts it away. just rinse it off after, no scrubbing needed. very harsh if u accidently inhale it though. takes ur breath away. i used it at work to get barnicles and rust of of boat propellers. works wonders im telling you. just dont put it on aluminum and let it sit. works very well for anything protein based like calcium build up. takes rust off steel like nothing too
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #68
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
Azarakiah, I didnt know what to call the rim..doh! it must have been late, lol. but I had not thought of muratic acid! thanks!

Bruce the more I plan the more I am liking it. and I am very intriged with the schoold of fish at differnt levels.
I got the monster wrestled into the house and figured out where it would go...this was no small feet in of itself!

i meant to say 60 cent paintbrush form home depot, not 60 dollar lmfao. just one of them cheapo wooden ones that are complete junk to paint with use one of them for the acid so u can put it where u need it and dont waste any
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #69
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is what I'd do.

A) A wall of java fern and anubias, completely filled.

OR.

B) Make the most of that height and show off some bulb plants and vallis. They look great when they're given the chance to really stretch.

And ditto on filling with fish who will utilise all levels of the tank. Bottom dwellers, mid section and surface dwellers.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #70
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
did that and the CLR...still have calcium shadows and lines.
picked up the muratic acid today..have a date with it tomorrow.

because of the depth of the tank I have decide not to plant the substraight, all plants will be on the wood.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #71
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Definitely take precautions with that acid it really is caustic but does work wonders...love using it to clean concrete. I wouldn't get any on the silicone either
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #72
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I have the glass as clean as it is going to get. the muratic acid did the trick, dodgy stuff to work with!
there is only the faintest bit of water marks left and I believe with the tank full they will fairly disapear.

I been picking up bits of wood along our waterways and have come up with this thus far. the larger piece is about as thick as my wrist. I think(hope) this is looking like roots from different trees reaching for the bottom.
what cha all think?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #73
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

well the grandkids where here for the weekend and that bit of wood ended up in the firepit roasting marshmellows!
the next morning we hiked the local waterways and just wait till you see what we came home with
Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #74
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

am I the only one having issues with photobucket?
I cant open up mine, all I get is a spinning circle...as like it is busy.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #75
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

photobucket is working fine for me. with wood like that, and the height, i would have done a blackwater tetra tank with a sword or two, maybe some other plant, lots of oak leaf litter on sand substrate. simple, dramatic, easy to maintain. oh, and for what it might be worth, i believe a paludarium or riparium would be about 100 times easier to maintain than a filled tank.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote