Danny's Custom 8L Experimental Shrimp Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
MadDiscus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
The sponge filter thing is a nonstarter, set them perfectly now, go watch some TV, and come back and see if they're even remotely the same volume in half an hour. If you want to cascade them together, you can either plumb a straight bulkhead from one to the other through the side (with some screen prefilters on it so nothing can move from one side to the other) or cascade from one higher tank into one lower tank. Think about a circuit a->b->canister filter->a instead of a->b == b->a because you're not gonna get that without some fairly sophisticated flow regulation/level sanity checks.
or you can do it in the back.

another option: trim those middle sides down enough to glue the acrylic bridge between 2 tanks. this allows water flows back and forth.

anyway looking great.
MadDiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I came up with a solution of adding a section in the middle of the two tanks. It'll be it's own divided section in the middle and the two sides of the tank that are used to make this extra section will have drilled holes and covered by a piece of Ss mesh. That way the tank will be one and no overflowing happen. Pictures will be uploaded later of the new setup
Dayumdanny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #18
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayumdanny View Post
I came up with a solution of adding a section in the middle of the two tanks.
Aww, I was hoping for an elaborately engineered float-switch & valve solution or something. But this seems much smarter.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I agree with the earlier comment of doing a linear filtration. Tank1 to tank2 to filter, then back to tank1. Also, if you plumb a sump, you could keep water levels in check that way. Two output pumps in the sump, and two overflows.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

Here's what I decided to do

The two sides will have holes near the top, it'll be two overflows. The middle section will be where my outlet is, so the filtered water will be distributed evenly, the two sponge filters will also aid in distributing the filtered water. The tank is now fully functionable as one tank.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

Eheim filter finally came, time to start cycling. Also ordered my stainless steal inlet guards, 13mm Y Barb Hose connector, and 12mm clear hosing.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #22
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Really like this concept - very cool show tank.

Another workaround would be to very simply use the power of the Siphon! http://wetpetssupply.com/images/utubeCG89194medup.jpg - just a tube like this hooked over the middle of the two tanks. Use an airline to suck the air out and when the water level is higher on one side than the other the siphon will equalize the pressure by flowing water into the tank with the lower level. A 3/4 inch ID tube could probably do more than 600gph.

To prevent migration sponges would have to be used on either end.
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc View Post
Really like this concept - very cool show tank.

Another workaround would be to very simply use the power of the Siphon! http://wetpetssupply.com/images/utubeCG89194medup.jpg - just a tube like this hooked over the middle of the two tanks. Use an airline to suck the air out and when the water level is higher on one side than the other the siphon will equalize the pressure by flowing water into the tank with the lower level. A 3/4 inch ID tube could probably do more than 600gph.

To prevent migration sponges would have to be used on either end.
Yeah I think all these methods would have been extremely difficult to work on two tanks. If I siphoned from tank 1 to tank 2, I'd need another siphone from tank 2 to tank 1. The slightest change of water through one of the siphone such as a leaf getting sucked up and getting stuck could cause one tank to overflow.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
brinks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think if you have a u shaped tube between/over the middle divider, that would siphon water to which ever tank has a lower water level, that would balance the difference in flow rates, or you could put the inlet from the filter in one tank, a couple of siphons to the second tank and the outlet to the filter in the second tank.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Wow, nice, How did you glue your tank though ?

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

I used a water base acrylic glue it actually melts the two pieces of acrylic together to become one. Much stronger than using a glue or some kind of a seal
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #27
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayumdanny View Post
Here's what I decided to do

The two sides will have holes near the top, it'll be two overflows. The middle section will be where my outlet is, so the filtered water will be distributed evenly, the two sponge filters will also aid in distributing the filtered water. The tank is now fully functional as one tank.
So the water will be filtered by the sponges, then output into the center section, then overflow into the tanks. Basically you plumbed a reverse sump in between the tanks. Am I correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze
So the water will be filtered by the sponges, then output into the center section, then overflow into the tanks. Basically you plumbed a reverse sump in between the tanks. Am I correct?
Yeah basically. The sponge filters is it's own filtration ran by an airpump. Ill have 2 inlets with stainless steel mesh guards for the canister intakes. The sponge filters are just extra. It'll be easier to visualize when the parts come and I can take pictures of the setup.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Do you have the name and brand of the glue you use? LOL I need to work on some acrylic and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for your information!

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #30
Dayumdanny
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Do you have the name and brand of the glue you use? LOL I need to work on some acrylic and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for your information!
Yeah! It's called "Weldon 4" your going to need an applicator bottle, it has a needle at the end. Your gonna need to practice with scrap metal. The cement is really thin, i won't stay in my pipette or in the needle bottle applicator. It melts acrylic so the moment you accidentally drip it on the face of your tank or something it'll mess up the surface. I suggest you get Weldon 16. It's a gel like glue that does the same thing. I got everything on no ebay links allowed PM me if you need more help!

Tags
mischling, shrimp, taiwan bee, tibee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.