best co2 injection methods for a tank with overflow and wetdry - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Cutting and fraying the impeller works, but the NW specific impellers are the best way to go really.

You can also minimize the orifice for the CO2 tubing coming into the NW pump also, this will produce smaller bubbles. This works at lower rates of CO2, but at higher rates, the hole breaks and the bubbles stay larger.

The other thing you can do is add say 2-4ft worth of tubing between the NW and the reactor chamber.

I use a separate NW pump and do not use the Return pump as the NW. I also just recirculate the water in the sump from the NW near the Return pump so I end up with about 4-8 ft worth of travel. I also use a large UV in some cases as a chamber. Some folks use an empty canister filter.

The smaller clean water filter housing work very well, no modification is really needed other than a PCV pipe inside to pull water from the very bottom if you use the NW approach. Want to count the bubble rate? Turn the NW off for a second.

The issue with crippling your return pump is this: when you modify those impellers, sometimes they get unbalanced and lock/seize up.
What is ur preffered needle wheel?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'm going to be running the needle wheel on my reactor pump, but due to limited size in the stand, I won't be able to have much more tubing than the 1 foot that's already there.

my question is this, where exactly do I put the co2 tubing? Do I stick it into the intake side or do I add it to the little thing that sticks up the top? I've drawn up a picture to help explain what I'm talking about. I'm using a rio+ 50 btw
http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-50-Aq.../dp/B0027J67GS

IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

u'll want the impeller to do as much chopping as possible, i believe on a 69 gph model, its gonna make lots of noise and not do a very good job of chopping unless u have a 1-3 bps rate
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

I think I actually have the 100, so it's a little stronger. Problem is I have to turn the flow down when it reaches the reactor so that it doesn't blow the purigen out of the reactor.

We'll see, if it doesn't work then maybe I'll run a closed loop or something.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

alright, so. it didn't work. The flow isn't high enough to chop up the bubbles and keep the purigen in the reactor. I went back to my first method of running an atomic inline diffuser, but I added 4 more feet of tubing before it reaches the reactor. Diffusion rate is much much higher now.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

A Rio 180 should be able to handle it.