cory questions O.o
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
forester
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

cory questions O.o

i love cory cats but the few times i have ever tried their barbels (rot??) come off . all my plants and fish do wonderful ! another thing i noticed is my cory cats always go up and down , up and down , all the time against the glass , maybe barbels over time get rubbed off ? had one for 5 years a friend nammed "UGLY" and it was her fav fish lol . only one i have right now is a panda that i have had for maybe 5 months and recently noticed his are gettin smaller . water parameters all great except i do have very hard water .
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

It's most likely your substrate, unless you have fine sand(not sharp stuff-some of it is pretty jagged) or really smooth gravel, they will wear off their barbels.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Bman024
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I also love Cory's! I have been trying to get a nice shoal of Julii together and have had the hardest time keeping them alive. One of my problems is where I am finding them. Seems not too many stores have them and the ones I find have been put through some hell transporting.

I have lost a couple due to them loosing their barbels and getting infection. The other day I noticed one of my surviving two had lost one of his barbells. I was keeping them in a tank with gravel as my subtrate and have since moved them into my other tank with PFS. As soon as I moved them they looked much happier sifting through the PFS for food than they ever did with gravel. Slowly his barbell looks to be growing back and he has no signs of redness or infection. (Crossing fingers!)

I had an air stone on the glass of my gravel tank and the cory's loved to swim up and down in the current of the bubbles. It looked so fun and cool but I don't think that could be a cause of them loosing their barbells.

I would say: water conditions, substrate, disease/infections are the most common reasons this happens. My experience was from my substrate which caused them to loose their barbells which can cause infection/disease which lead to death..

Good luck!
Bman024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
forester
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

thanks for the replies ! maybe it is my ecocomplete gravel , have had it a long time . gonna keep this panda around , the other one lived with no barbels for a long time and always seemed happy and so does this one , if he goes south then i will find a better home so he can be happy ^^
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Barbel erosion probably caused by bacteria in the E-C gravel

It's hard to clean the gravel well, so pockets of bacteria/toxic gas build up in certain areas will mess/erode their barbels once they venture over to search for food.

When the whiskers start to disappear, it's because the corys are getting little infections on their barbels & it's NON stop until the tissue is all gone.

Every time I've tried cleaning the eco-complete it would always end up clogging the siphon. It's hard to swirl up the water when there's plants EVERYWHERE.

• Also, when you do the water quality tests, you only gather water from the surface, correct?
  • I'm sure the water from the bottom will give you much different results.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
gabysapha
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've had the same problem with eco-complete. I regret ever purchasing it now. It's a dirty substrate, it's never clean and it's so rough. I like finer substrates much better, and so do the cories. And kuhli loaches.

Last edited by gabysapha; 12-06-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: typo
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a mix of eco complete and amazonia. My julii cories dig into the substrate and they don't have barbells anymore, but they seem to be doing okay. On the other hand, my emeralds only look for food on the top of the substrate and all 6 of them have perfect barbells. The only other solution I can think of is to do a thick carpet on the bottom of your tank so that they simply have no way to burrow into the substrate.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Corydoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
i love cory cats but the few times i have ever tried their barbels (rot??) come off . all my plants and fish do wonderful ! another thing i noticed is my cory cats always go up and down , up and down , all the time against the glass , maybe barbels over time get rubbed off ? had one for 5 years a friend nammed "UGLY" and it was her fav fish lol . only one i have right now is a panda that i have had for maybe 5 months and recently noticed his are gettin smaller . water parameters all great except i do have very hard water .
Hello fore...

Corys require pure water conditions. If you aren't replacing half the tank water weekly, you should consider doing it. Barbels can be damaged by anything with a sharp edge. However, barbels can heal and grow back in a couple of months with good nutrition and removing any potentially sharp objects in the tank.

I feed my Corys a variety of frozen brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, plankton and krill. I also feed a little minced garlic.

Good nutrition and pure water conditions will keep your Corys healthy.

B
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

I too have EC and my cories lose their barbels and eventually die. I've seen lots of reports that EC is safe for barbels and have even had people approve it for kuhli loaches. My Zebra loaches have not had their barbels erode at all.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote