Pond snail?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Steelwolve
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pond snail?

After reading about pond snails from a few internet sources Im a bit confused/skeptical about what Ive read. First, I did learn that my snail population is part of my bio load. It seems obvious but I really hadnt considered it in the past. Now heres where im confused, every thing I read says that overfeeding is what makes the population explode. Well Ive had a low tech 10g planted set up now for 3 months. Got the snails pretty much right off the bat from plants, and the population was massive in the 1st month and has not declined at all. This tank has no other life in it and I have not put a drop of food into the tank since its start. It is a Dirted tank, MGOCPM, capped with sand. The tank did cycle through an algae phase, but bounced back quickly. My thinking was that the snails were eating my diatoms, and hair algae. But it hasnt had any algae now for 2 months (besides a couple small BBA outbreaks) So at this point whats keeping these buggers numbers so high? I dont really mind a few, in fact I havent tried removing them yet at all, because my 10G low tech is doing and looking way better than my 29g and 90g high tech on the cheap tanks. BUT I would like to take their numbers down quite a bit, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I thought this would happen naturally after the algae was eaten away, I guess not. Whats your thoughts are they surviving off new algae growth that gets eaten so fast I dont notice it??? or maybe off something in the soil?? Also, are there any small 2"max fish that would eat pond snails, or at least a few snailets?
Steelwolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Crob5965
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwolve View Post
After reading about pond snails from a few internet sources Im a bit confused/skeptical about what Ive read. First, I did learn that my snail population is part of my bio load. It seems obvious but I really hadnt considered it in the past. Now heres where im confused, every thing I read says that overfeeding is what makes the population explode. Well Ive had a low tech 10g planted set up now for 3 months. Got the snails pretty much right off the bat from plants, and the population was massive in the 1st month and has not declined at all. This tank has no other life in it and I have not put a drop of food into the tank since its start. It is a Dirted tank, MGOCPM, capped with sand. The tank did cycle through an algae phase, but bounced back quickly. My thinking was that the snails were eating my diatoms, and hair algae. But it hasnt had any algae now for 2 months (besides a couple small BBA outbreaks) So at this point whats keeping these buggers numbers so high? I dont really mind a few, in fact I havent tried removing them yet at all, because my 10G low tech is doing and looking way better than my 29g and 90g high tech on the cheap tanks. BUT I would like to take their numbers down quite a bit, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I thought this would happen naturally after the algae was eaten away, I guess not. Whats your thoughts are they surviving off new algae growth that gets eaten so fast I dont notice it??? or maybe off something in the soil?? Also, are there any small 2"max fish that would eat pond snails, or at least a few snailets?

I went through the same thing with my 55 dirted I finally bought some assassin snails it hasnt solved the problem but it has definatley helped control the problem I usually remove 10-15 a week now during water changes instead of 100 a week
Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

they pretty much eat everything including most organic stuff in your substrate, your decaying plants, driftwood, leaves. so you are overfeeding them and just don't know it

once they get really established and get everywhere (substrate, filter, underside of your lid) you can't get rid of them except w/o a predator or a chemical means which is not advisable.

best thing to have done was to remove them from the start. planted tanks w/o snails do exist. i am sure you can get there if you want.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i also found pond snails. the really came out of nowehere and grew to full size in less than a few days and already finding babies. but i plan on getting a small tank for a pea puffer and just feeding them to it.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
golfer_d
Planted Member

I have the same issue here with my 10 gallon. Came in on a plant I got and BOOM they are everywhere now.

I want to get rid of most but not all as I plan to have a pea puffer tank at the start of the new year.

Will 1 assassin snail help reduce the number enough??
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Crob5965
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
I have the same issue here with my 10 gallon. Came in on a plant I got and BOOM they are everywhere now.

I want to get rid of most but not all as I plan to have a pea puffer tank at the start of the new year.

Will 1 assassin snail help reduce the number enough??
you'll still have to do some work yourself but you will notice a difference within a week.

I have a 55 gal with 2 so I have to think a 10 gal would be good with 1-2
Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote