Drop Checker issue
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquaman55g
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drop Checker issue

I have a Cal Aqua Labs Double Check drop checker that I purchased some time ago from Green Leaf Aquariums. Recently I noticed that on the CO2 indicator bowl on this drop checker the color is closer to clear than green.
I only have used the Reference and Indicator solutions that came packaged with this drop checker and I believe that the reference solution was green and the indicator solution was blue when I poured both into the drop checker.
As far as I can tell I have the needle valve on my CO2 regulator on a very low setting (1 - 2 bps) though my bubble counter seems to run out of water quickly so it is hard to get an accurate reading.
The CO2 comes out in very fine bubbles through a glass diffuser and they mix with the output of my AquaClear 110 power filter so the CO2 is thoroughly mixed with the aquarium water. The only change to my tank was that I previously had the CO2 going directly into the filter intake.
I just do not understand why the indication solution is almost clear instead of close to the green color of the reference solution since I have not made any major adjustments with the amount of CO2 entering the tank? Thanks for any members time and any assistance you can offer.
Aquaman55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

This is quite puzzling, the reference solution should not be green.

If the reference solution is a 4 dkH reference solution, then it should either be clear (if nothing has been added to it) or blue (if the bromothymol blue is pre-mixed into it).

Perhaps you could mix a new reference solution up?

As for your other question (why the solution in the second bulb (the reference bulb) is not green anymore), it might just be the colour is getting hard to read due to aquarium lighting/plants, etc.

If you take out the drop checker and put it against a piece of white paper, is it easy to read?

If not, the only other thing I can think of is that the indicator (the bromothymol blue) is starting to break down.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I find the test solution does that. Over a period of weeks it will gradually lose its color and become clear.

You need to empty out the drop checker and refill with fresh solution every so often.
dmagerl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Are you talking about the bottom one of the top one? I was always curious how the bottom one would stay green over the long run because my drop checkers get lighter over time. I have never allowed mine to get clear but it doesn't surprise me if the solution will turn clear. If it's the bottom one, I don't know what you can do. If it's the top, time to change the solution out which I do ever month or so.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote