Canister filter flow issues
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
biggerbang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Canister filter flow issues

I've been using my Eheim 2232 for the pass 3 months. I'm currently having issues on flow. I'm using lily pipes that I got on [Ebay Link Removed] When I first bought them, the flow was fine and I could see that swirly vortex. But now, the flow is so low that it doesn't do that and I can barely see plants swaying. I cleaned my filter last month, but I didn't rinse the pads. I rinsed the mechanical filtration with the tank water from the water change, but I didn't really rinse the pads that finely. My question is, which pads do I clean/replace and how do I go about doing that? Should I just take the pads and shake them rigorously in the tank water? Of course that water would be in a 5 gallon bucket, but is that all?
My tubes are also a little dirty, but I don't think it would hinder my flow that much.

RANDOM: My s. repens is melting. I dose excel and iron daily and have a schedule for trace, potassium, phosphorous, and flourish. I think it's because of my decreased filter flow and consequently the [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty water circulation that results from that. Would purchasing a small powerhead help that?
biggerbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The flow in my canister always slow down and that's when I know I have to clean my canister. I think your flow problem is because of your pads are dirty which with them being dirty makes it harder for the water to flow with the canister. The way I do it is I ring out the pads by squeezing them and rinse them out with water I have on the side that's been airing out for a few days. I also do this with my filstars and tubes if you have any. I never replace my pads until they fall apart. I hope this helps you.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Don't forget to clean the tubing. It really cuts into the flow after they get dirty.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

throw about the filter loss and replace it ...if you have enought bio max in there, it doesn't much to the fish......

keep the sponge and wash it in tank water till clean
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Unless you are really pushing the limits on bio-filtering there is no reason to be too tender with the pads. The bacteria will not crush and they do jump back if you do in a few of them. As long as you have several types of media with bacteria, after a few months, you can do pretty much anything with one item at a time. As soon as my floss type media begins to fall apart, I replace it with some that doesn't sog up and cut flow as bad. This is one spot for what I like.

https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Floss...ilter-Pad.aspx

I is cheap, cuts easy with scissors and lasts a long time.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
el Caspar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can almost promise that if you haven't cleaned your tubing, thats one of the main culprits. Also you take apart the impeller housing and clean the snot out of that. I had the same issue and you would be shocked what the reduction of inner diameter will do to flow
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
biggerbang
Algae Grower

Is ther a guide on taking apart the impeller housing? Like am I supposed to pull out the spinning thing?
I removed my fine filter and replaced it. It was black haha. The flow is definitely improved, but not quite as good as before. I'm going to purchase magfox and clean the hosing very soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbang View Post
Is ther a guide on taking apart the impeller housing? Like am I supposed to pull out the spinning thing?
I removed my fine filter and replaced it. It was black haha. The flow is definitely improved, but not quite as good as before. I'm going to purchase magfox and clean the hosing very soon.

definly take out the impeller and clean it...gunk build up and slow it down
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
biggerbang
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
When I last cleaned my filter, I couldn't pull out the impeller. I put some force into it, but I was afraid of snapping it off or just breaking it. Do i just pull at it?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a link to the manual.
http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/EH2232.pdf

On pages 3 and 11 there ared directions on how to do this. The impeller is a magnet and sets in a coil of wire. It will have some resistance to pulling out due to the magnet. Muscle up and pull it out! Just do it without twisting it too much. The center shaft is ceramic to last but it is also brittle so don't twist it or drop it. I use Q-tips for cleaning down in the hole. If this is not done stuff collects in the hole and the impeller will be worn by rubbing or stop moving. Not a good way to make a canister last very long?
Read and follow all directions for best value and performance!

Last edited by PlantedRich; 12-05-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: add link
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
That is a good time to look at it carefully too.
My 2232 flow was slow from day one. I'd not checked the impeller. It was sold - on clearance at Petco - with cracked fins. Dropped in a new one and all was right with the world. It was the first of this model number I'd ever used. I knew it wasn't right, but didn't think it all through.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote