I need some advice on my aquascape! (Pics included)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
scarbar23

PTrader: (0/0%)

I need some advice on my aquascape! (Pics included)

Ok, I have been happily in this hobby for years, I have never set up a scape I was content with. That sounds sorta ridiculous but it seems like I'm always wanting to add or change something. After a while, it seems to become more of a chore than a hobby. I'd really like your guy's and gal's advice on what I could do differently. Maybe I'm missing depth or maybe I'm just crowding everything too much? I'm not sure, but I love helpful feedback! Btw, I'm using my iPhone to type on here and for the pictures, so it may not be of great quality. Here are the pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599360.129884.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	58232
Full tank

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599388.870168.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	58233
Pearl weed (HM)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599424.741933.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	58234
Ludwigia

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599461.380989.jpg
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	58235
Unknown plant? Maybe hygro?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599496.512503.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	58236
Some short Swords I've had for a year (weird!)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354599554.077217.jpg
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	58237
And lastly my Pike (crenichla marmorata)

Oh ya, and the tank is FAR over grown, and I've had a random algae bloom, hmm. Ignore those two factors though haha!

Thanks; Tyler
scarbar23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

The 1st impression I had was DUTCH AQUARIUM.

I suggest you read this Thread http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ium-style.html

You are well on the way already. There are a few design "rules" and composition practices to adapt to. I personally prefer a Bio-Type tank but,
I truly respect people that can maintain a Dutch Style tank. I feel it truly showcases one's skills in Aquatic Gardening.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
scarbar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
The 1st impression I had was DUTCH AQUARIUM.

I suggest you read this Thread http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ium-style.html

You are well on the way already. There are a few design "rules" and composition practices to adapt to. I personally prefer a Bio-Type tank but,
I truly respect people that can maintain a Dutch Style tank. I feel it truly showcases one's skills in Aquatic Gardening.
Ya?? The only issue is with my Marmorata pike! He is gonna get pretty big and needs at least one big space for swimming, and probably a tunnel/cave-like structure. I could do that with plants I bet, but not sure!

As for the biotope, I think I have way too many plants to do one from the area where my pike is from (I think the oricinco river basin?). I just know pikes generally leave the aquascape alone, unlike most cichlids.

The link was very helpful! Thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
scarbar23

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354773109.366976.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	58347
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
jemminnifener
Planted Member

Your plants look like they're doing well! I personally would like an open space somewhere with less plants. I'm thinking you could open up some space near that driftwood to make it stand out more. Trim or move or remove some plants near there? I can't really see how good your tank looks with the full tank shot. It's a bit blurry. I bet it looks nicer than what the picture suggests.
jemminnifener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I like it and I bet your pike cichlid does too. Lots of places to lurk and thickets that prey might be hiding in to check out. The thickets of stems are very nice looking.

Maybe look through the pictures here in Your Tanks and the online photos of scaping contest to see what you wish your tank looked like, then use that shape and your plants to change it up.

Pick out the damaged leaves and wipe down the glass and have a good look at it then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.