Idea for water control in terrarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Idea for water control in terrarium

Okay, here's an idea. I don't own a terrarium, and have little to no experience with them. I am planning on setting one up, though. However, I do know that getting rid of excess water can be troublesome when it has collected in the substrate, leading to the rotting of plant roots. I have no idea whether this idea has already been tried, but I was thinking, why not set up an undergravel filter plate in the terrarium, that excess water will run under, and can then be siphoned out, while not disturbing the substrate? Anyone tried this? I don't want to be plagiarizing something already out there, I just haven't really looked in depth.
mrbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 AM   #2
eusair
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

how much water are you fixing to have? root rot shouldn't really be an issue in a terrarium except from overwatering. with the proper substrates, it should be quite difficult to overwater. perhaps what you really want to do is more of a paludarium, where standing water is a significant part of the landscape? many of those setups have a small closed off section in a corner for the pump to set in such that it doesn't disturb the substrate. you can use a false bottom (filter plate) if you wish, but simply having a good rocky substrate works also.
eusair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Matthew Mahling
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

There are several ways too have a substrate free draining in the terrarium. The easiest is to create a layer several inches deep of LECA or expanded clay pellets from a hydroponics store. You may also use very course/small river rock or lava rock. Next place a section of vinyl screen on top of your drainage layer the size of the inside of the tank. After that your substrate can go right on top. I have a few terrariums and water from even only misting builds up fast in the drainage layer. The easiest way to drain this set up is to create a small pond in the front or side of the tank going to the bottom.
There is also the false bottom... another story. If you haven't already checked out www.dendroboard.com the please do. This is a dart frog hobbiest website with tons of info on construction of Terrarium or vivariums.
I suggest you read through the forums threads
Beginner Discussion http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...r=&topicdays=0
and parts http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5
before posting questions. Enjoy.
Matthew Mahling is offline   Reply With Quote