DIY Aquarium Touchscreen Controller - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #76
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

This thread is subbed
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #77
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default white screen problems

having done a lot of research on this project(jarduino) it appears that several types of boards (Touch screens) are supported. in the sketch you have several of them commented out. what needs to be done is to comment out the one that is currently being used (not commeted out) then compile the sketch until you get one that works. then there is somecalibration that needs to be down with the Touch Screen to make it all line up.
doc
the way you comment things out in the code is by using "//" or "/*at first of code */ at the end of code. i hope this helps if not i can find out what other settings will work for you. i hope
doc
drhemlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #78
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Make sure to select the correct board in the arduino app under /tools/board
I selected the board, and installed the driver. I would think the screen would not just appear white. I tried putting other codes in there and tests, and it doesnt work.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #79
Mike in MD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowki View Post
I selected the board, and installed the driver. I would think the screen would not just appear white. I tried putting other codes in there and tests, and it doesnt work.
Have you cleared the EEPROM? You have to modify the example sketch to "4096" and run it. Then try uploading again.
Mike

65 Gallon Tall with Cascade 1000, Wet/Dry and Fluidized bed filter, 3 media reactors, CO2 with CarbonDoser EXT5000 reactor, DIY 36 LED light with Typhon controller. In the works..DIY Touchscreen Aquarium Controller
Mike in MD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #80
Mike in MD
Algae Grower

For those who have the Sainsmart Mega shield and cannot get the SD card working, I came across a website which shows the modification that is needed to get it working.
It requires a steady hand and some surgery on the board
I can confirm that it does work.
I have a bad DS1307 board, waiting for it to be delivered. I have a bug in the time code I need to work out. I do have my temp probes working now

65 Gallon Tall with Cascade 1000, Wet/Dry and Fluidized bed filter, 3 media reactors, CO2 with CarbonDoser EXT5000 reactor, DIY 36 LED light with Typhon controller. In the works..DIY Touchscreen Aquarium Controller
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #81
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

On simple lcds, you adjust the contrast with a pot so you can see. Would it be the same for this screen?
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #82
Mike in MD
Algae Grower

Quote:
On simple lcds, you adjust the contrast with a pot so you can see. Would it be the same for this screen?
Yes, if you look at the above picture, the blue pot is the screen adjustment

Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #83
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

On a side topic.. How is this keeping date and time?
In a standalone app (not plugged into the computer), is it better to use an external clock like the DS1307 real time clock?

I remember the internal arduno time keeping drifts a bit and need periodic syncing.
It runs on the cycle of the processor with isn't 100% accurate?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #84
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
On a side topic.. How is this keeping date and time?
In a standalone app (not plugged into the computer), is it better to use an external clock like the DS1307 real time clock?

I remember the internal arduno time keeping drifts a bit and need periodic syncing.
It runs on the cycle of the processor with isn't 100% accurate?
If it is based on the Jarduino, then a DS1307 is probably used (that is what I am using as well for my own side project).

I assume that ultimately, you will want to use the controller as a standalone unit and not have it connected to a computer anyway, so a RTC would be required.

The Arduino has a way to keep track of time (the millis() function) but it resets everytime the unit loses power (i.e. it only keeps track of how long the unit has been powered on). It's not really useful for keeping time, especially if you lose power, but it can be useful to avoid using delays in code.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #85
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Don't most devices lose time if there's no power? You can attach a battery to the arduino in case it loses power. It handy so you don't have to reset all of the settings.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #86
Darkblade48

Quote:
Don't most devices lose time if there's no power? You can attach a battery to the arduino in case it loses power. It handy so you don't have to reset all of the settings.
Yes, most devices will lose time if there is no power. The battery does not go directly to the Arduino per se, instead, the DS1307 RTC has space for a 2032 button battery, so it will be able to keep track of time even in case there is a power loss.

The 5V line in is so that the Arduino can query the IC for the correct date/time. Then you can throw it all onto an LCD (or have the microcontroller query the RTC if it requires that information, i.e. for a timer).

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #87
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

so i got my parts into the mail a few days ago and was messing around with the codes and made a temp control for 3 tanks so that i can run 1 control for 3 tanks if needed...

hey mike i see that you have edit a code with a ph monitor and was wondering if its working or just a dead display for now... if its working would you mind sharing your code? maybe i can grab some things you have laying around within your code...

also has anyone coded a timer to run with the arduino for say a co2 solenoid and for lighting on/off timer? if thats a yes, please share =)
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #88
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
also has anyone coded a timer to run with the arduino for say a co2 solenoid and for lighting on/off timer? if thats a yes, please share =)
I'm working on a pH controller that turns on/off a relay (that is hooked up to a solenoid). So far, it works fine with hard-coded pH values.

I'm working on editing a TFT LCD for input, so that the user can adjust the pH as required, and then have the values saved to EEPROM, etc, so that the pH controller will work fine.

Of course, temperature monitor and RTC is there as well, so I can control lights, etc.

I think the lighting on/off timer shouldn't be too hard; again, just have the TFT LCD accept inputs, and have the on/off schedule values written to EEPROM so that it'll be there even if power is lost.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #89
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I'm working on editing a TFT LCD for input, so that the user can adjust the pH as required, and then have the values saved to EEPROM, etc, so that the pH controller will work fine.
That is easy to do I have it coded for a temp control and can invert it to a ph no problem but for the light timer might be hard to do and I would also need help for reading the ph probe to read the ph like the temp probe which to think about it, I think I can also invert the temp probe to work with the arduino but now sure how it would show up as I don't have a ph probe to test with
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #90
megamax42
Algae Grower

Hey guys, loving this thread as I am in the same boat as you guys. Good to know there are others out there. I'm working with a 3.2" TFT (with SSD1289 controller) and an Arduino mega 2560.

The only set of software I've managed to get working is a folder I downloaded named UTFT off of Henningkarlsons website. Even those however don't work seamlessly. This is the best I've been able to get with them:

So I picked up Jarduino again and have been debugging for quite a while now. I'm using v1.1 and had to make a few modifications I picked up along the way from other programs. A big one is replacing

# include "WProgram.h"

with

# if (ARDUINO >= 100)
# include "Arduino.h"
# else
# include "WProgram.h"
# endif

in the ITDB02_Graph16 and ITDB02_Touch files. I'm still getting this string of errors however:

Jarduino_v1_1.cpp: In function 'void TimeDateBar(boolean)':
Jarduino_v1_1.pde:-1: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'const char*'
Jarduino_v1_1.pde:-1: error: initializing argument 1 of 'String& String:perator=(const char*)'
Jarduino_v1_1.pde:-1: error: initializing argument 1 of 'String& String:perator=(const char*)'
Jarduino_v1_1.cpp: In function 'void testArrayScreen(boolean)':

Hmm, those smiley faces in the code must be the same shortcut text lol.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, sorry to thread-jack
megamax42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.