custom glass overflow removal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
nikom8992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

custom glass overflow removal

hi everyone first time i have ever posted so i am sorry if i dont get it right. i have a custom overflow i put in, and after much consideration of this ugly looking thing i have in my tank i would like to remove it. i have tried guitar wire, string, razor blade nylon ribbon and i can't get behind it. when i do start to get even a small amount done the string breaks or the razor breaks and i dont know what else i can do besides breaking it out and im afraid that if i do ill break my tank please and thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2nic.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	58148  

Name:	pic1nic.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	58149  

nikom8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
nikom8992
Algae Grower

i would really like to get information on this asap so i can start working on it in the morning so i can get my tank back to normal. please help
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's possible noone has experienced trying to remove this style in-tank overflow. If the entire back of the unit is siliconed to the tank glass, it will be difficult to remove, especially if the tank still has water in it.

Did you install it or was it purchased this way?

Any chance of taking a pic from the rear of the unit? It may help generate some answers.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
nikom8992
Algae Grower

i put it in myself and on the back and side there is a thin layer of silicone but not many materials can fit between it and the glass anything thicker than nylon ribbon will not fit i have tried using the ribbon as a sort of saw but it does nothing to it. razor blades work but i cant get a razor blade long enough (or strong enough) to cut all the way through it. i have broken two razor blades on this already.
sorry no pic of back

Last edited by nikom8992; 12-03-2012 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: forgot to say no pic of back
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A heat gun to soften the silicone and a long retractable razor knife like an Olfa or something thin and flexible.
http://www.olfa.com/UtilityKnivesDetail.aspx?C=61&Id=44

A thinner knife is better because it'll let you get better access. You'll probably break lots of blades so buy extras but I'd say this is going to be the best, safest way to get the overflow off. Once you have it cut back a little bit you may be able to slide some fishing line in behind and slowly saw it through the silicone, braided line works pretty well for this if you can find it.

Just please go SLOWLY and take your time, this isn't going to be a 5 minute procedure.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
nikom8992
Algae Grower

ive found that out already ive been working on this for a few days. and finally needed to ask becuase i felt like i was going no where. i think i can do the heat gun but would boiling hot water inside the over flow work? ive tried fishing line and i think i need to get really really strong line thats why i went with the nylon ribbon. ill try any and all ideas at this point.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Try a braided fishing line. If all else fails C-4 or gasoline.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
nikom8992
Algae Grower

i want it out of my tank not to turn it into a giant fireball. lol what #test should i get?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

50 or more, go to a fishing store n see what they've got.

I've used the fishing line trick to remove emblems off of some of my cars and old nasty goobered on dealership plaques and it ALWAYS works if you give it enough heat and time.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
nikom8992
Algae Grower

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
50 or more, go to a fishing store n see what they've got.

I've used the fishing line trick to remove emblems off of some of my cars and old nasty goobered on dealership plaques and it ALWAYS works if you give it enough heat and time.

what brand would be best?(i know ther all the same. but i like quality and right now i need good quality. i can always use the rest to go fishing.) and how long would it take to get through an area of about 6inx8in ish? would boiling hot water in the overflow help weaken the silicone?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure how much heat will help with silicone, since a lot of silicone stuff are used in high-temp applications. although, I haven't tried it, so I can't say it won't work.

Id avoid boiling water, there is too much of a chance of cracking the tank due to thermal stresses, etc.

I've bought ~ 80lb (I don't fish, but I find it pretty useful cordage for camping/etc.) in places like sports authority. Sometimes a walmart will have it, but it's pretty hit or miss.

Just to confirm, the overflow box itself is made of glass? And is it just siliconed on the back, or the back and the side.
How big is your tank?

Worst comes to worst, you may be able to break the overflow box, leaving just the rear panel attached, and cover the sharp edges with silicone
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
nikom8992
Algae Grower

the side and back were siliconed. i tried the fishing line and it didn't work so i tried the boiling water and fishing line and it didnt work. so i finally broke down and got my point chisel and a tack hammer out and started to break it out. i was very careful not to hit to hard and i made sure to put point breaks in the glass so it would break where i wanted it to. (I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND DOING THIS) i got it almost out now and decided to update every one i only have the back left and i feel very very happy that is gone but i feel bad i cant reuse the back for a small tank lol. thank you all for your help. your so very helpful (125g planted tank, 2 angelicus botia loaches, gold gourami, 4 swordtails, pictus cat, striped raphael cat, 3 albino longfin bushynose plecos, 2 oto cats. 2 whitecloud's, a bunch of guppies, red cherry shrimp, assassin snails, and mts, and a peacful crowntail betta) (ph 7ish depends on co2, kh unknown gh unknown, dose with ferts as needed about once a week and diy c02 so plants dont die) again thank you all for your help.

all thats left is a small piece of the back
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic3nic.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	58193  

Name:	pic4nic.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	58194  

Name:	pic5nic.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	58195  

Last edited by nikom8992; 12-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: forgot to say what last pic is
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

WOW, i probabl would have said buy some silicone remover... turns it to goo
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
nikom8992
Algae Grower

i finally got the last piece out. and it looks amazing now no cracked or boken aquarium glass. i would have done the silicon remover but it was so close to the corner i would have had to redo the entire corner seam. and there was no way to get behind the glass to even apply it.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

wow, you're braver then I would have been in that situation. I was just thinking of score the inside with a glass cutter, or maybe drilling some holes near the edge, and then breaking it, and leaving the back/side still siliconed to the tank.

Good job though, that's pretty impressive.

I think the main reason the wire/line method didn't work is because it had too much area to cover, in addition to a bend.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overflow, removal, silicone