My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #256
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Did some reading about wild caught Altums and tank bred Altums (because I do not know a lot about them outside their basic needs) I found that the Altums are very difficult to breed in captivity...so I am guessing the breeder is working with hybrid Altums which explain the bent fins and black lines of the one I kept. The other that I returned had brown lines which is more true to the wild Altums and his dorsal fin was much straighter than the other. (I got this from reading...no first hand experience) No difference to me though. I think the fish I have a beautiful.
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #257
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Oh for sure sexual maturity had something to do with it. The cleaning of the driftwood and the claim on the territory, I definetely believe the intent was to commence breeding...only thing is the female was more interested in Little Blue. She was following Little Blue and then when the "male" interested in her would chase Little Blue and coral her back to his turf to start cleaning the wood again. Everytime he was busy cleaning, she'd sneak away to be with Blue LOL!
that B-word!!LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #258
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Did some reading about wild caught Altums and tank bred Altums (because I do not know a lot about them outside their basic needs) I found that the Altums are very difficult to breed in captivity...so I am guessing the breeder is working with hybrid Altums which explain the bent fins and black lines of the one I kept. The other that I returned had brown lines which is more true to the wild Altums and his dorsal fin was much straighter than the other. (I got this from reading...no first hand experience) No difference to me though. I think the fish I have a beautiful.
yes, they are
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #259
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
that B-word!!LOL
HaHa! Now I wish I would have taken some video of the behavior. It was very interesting to watch. Too late now since he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
yes, they are
Thank you
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #260
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

Y'know, I was just thinking...I think you don't QT because you said your lfs does QT their fish. But if they have a revolving door policy where fish can be returned anytime (didn't you say you once returned fish you had 6 months?) don't you worry that fish you buy may have been returned from someone else, and the fish may have been exposed to something when at another person's house? Other folks may be mixing fish from different sources - not always from your lfs...just a thought. It would make me nervous!
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #261
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,276
Default

one would think that if they care enough about their product to quarantine it from outside suppliers, that they also would quarantine any "returns". or at least you would like to think that is the case.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #262
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Christiansburg, Va
Posts: 2,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
The aggressor is now back at the LFS taking on another Koi Angel a bit bigger than himself...through the bag he's floating in!!!
This made me think that the fish might be going back into a sales tank - unless the QT tanks are visible to customers?

Oh well...
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #263
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Y'know, I was just thinking...I think you don't QT because you said your lfs does QT their fish. But if they have a revolving door policy where fish can be returned anytime (didn't you say you once returned fish you had 6 months?) don't you worry that fish you buy may have been returned from someone else, and the fish may have been exposed to something when at another person's house? Other folks may be mixing fish from different sources - not always from your lfs...just a thought. It would make me nervous!
They are very careful and very trustworthy. I am not worried at all. The fish they get in they have different tanks for certain fish from unfamiliar tanks and fish for familiar tanks. The LFS owner takes care of many of our tanks when we take vacations (awesome ) and he knows his familiar customers quite well as well as their practices. But thank you dear for your concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
one would think that if they care enough about their product to quarantine it from outside suppliers, that they also would quarantine any "returns". or at least you would like to think that is the case.
They do They have stack of 12 tanks just for this purpose. As well as a few others for fish that are obvious sick with something. They also have more tanks in the back room in case they need them. Great FS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
This made me think that the fish might be going back into a sales tank - unless the QT tanks are visible to customers?

Oh well...
Yes, the 12 stack is. The other bigger ones are not lighted so viewing is not something people do...it's pretty much invisible without the lights on.
And of course, those in back are closed off the general public.
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #264
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

Amanda, in case you have missed a link in my previous post:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199034 --->


Last edited by OVT; 12-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: added pic
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #265
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Lol I didn't miss it. You must have missed my response post? Are you saying that 2 new Angels are Philipine Blues? The breeder is a nice woman...but maybe she is playing everyone up here for fools saying her Angels are Altums? She and her Husband claim to have collected the starting pair on a trip from the wild. They collected several and when they paired off they selected a couple pairs to begin their program.

Oh well...shrug. I still love my cute little blue and her new buddy the said Altum (of course that is not the case...perhaps a hybrid...perhaps a Philipine Blue? just not very blue...)

They can be called "Amandas MuttAngels"
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #266
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Wait...did I misunderstand why you posted the link? Are you attempting to be an enabler OVT? LOL!
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #267
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru
 
ua hua's Avatar
 
PTrader: (50/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Did some reading about wild caught Altums and tank bred Altums (because I do not know a lot about them outside their basic needs) I found that the Altums are very difficult to breed in captivity...so I am guessing the breeder is working with hybrid Altums which explain the bent fins and black lines of the one I kept. The other that I returned had brown lines which is more true to the wild Altums and his dorsal fin was much straighter than the other. (I got this from reading...no first hand experience) No difference to me though. I think the fish I have a beautiful.
While those are some nice looking angelfish you have there they are not Altums. They are actually Pterophyllum scalare. Altum angels are a very sensitive fish as most of them are wild caught and the survival rate is very low. Altums have a very distinct look and once you see one the difference is very noticeable. My dad used to breed several different varieties of angels in the late 70's and 80's, so I have seen almost every variety of angelfish out there. Anyone looking into keeping Altums needs to understand that these are not fish for beginners and raising them to adulthood takes a lot of work and near perfect tank conditions. I have seen several people on this forum attempt to keep these fish only to watch them meet an untimely demise. The altum hybrids are a Pterophyllum scalare x Pterophyllum altum cross. The dorsal fin is almost identical to that of P. altum and there is other morphological features such as the head and mouth formation, which is the easiest way to tell if you have a altum hybrid.
__________________
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #268
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
While those are some nice looking angelfish you have there they are not Altums. They are actually Pterophyllum scalare. Altum angels are a very sensitive fish as most of them are wild caught and the survival rate is very low. Altums have a very distinct look and once you see one the difference is very noticeable. My dad used to breed several different varieties of angels in the late 70's and 80's, so I have seen almost every variety of angelfish out there. Anyone looking into keeping Altums needs to understand that these are not fish for beginners and raising them to adulthood takes a lot of work and near perfect tank conditions. I have seen several people on this forum attempt to keep these fish only to watch them meet an untimely demise. The altum hybrids are a Pterophyllum scalare x Pterophyllum altum cross. The dorsal fin is almost identical to that of P. altum and there is other morphological features such as the head and mouth formation, which is the easiest way to tell if you have a altum hybrid.
Thank you That is fine with me they are just Scalares. I wasn't hoping for Altums, it's just what the breeder claims them to be. But I really don't care. Well, I guess I do because I don't want to have them die on me! I just saw them at the LFS and he gets his fish from this breeder. He only knows what she tells him and then it is a ripple effect going on down the line. Anyway..these two Angels came from a close friend of his that had bought them from the breeder. The owner of the 2 Angels was moving out of Alaska so they had to give the fish up. That is how I ended up with them.

When I saw them, I didn't care what kind of fish they were...just that they were beautiful Angels...so I tried them. I only have one of the two newbies now and things are going great. The three are swimming together along with the betta as if the third Angel had been a part of the group since the beginning. Now that the Male is gone, I again have a peaceful tank Fingers crossed that no one decides they need to take on the Aggresser role. Only time will tell.

Thanks again! I appreciate your comment and knowledge.
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank

Last edited by Amandas tank; 12-04-2012 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: add in
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #269
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

A quick update...the Angels are doing great and the Betta aproves

Above the 3 Angels following the Queen Betta.






I love this one Betta is not flaring...those are her fins fluttering as the two of them look at eachother as if having a conversation.


Anyway...that's it. I am not feeling too well so I won't be on for a time.
__________________
Happy Fish Keeping
My Ever-Evolving Tank
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #270
Fizgig777
Algae Grower
 
Fizgig777's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 117
Default

Nice new shots =)
__________________
◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
☯ Come visit Goldie Haven to see Goldfish & live plants thriving together in harmony =)
~ Updated December 4, 2012 ~

☯ Stop by and see Tropical Haven, too.
~ Updated March 2011 ~

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012