Lighting options for a 5 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
maromi

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting options for a 5 gallon

Hello. I am currently setting up a little 5 gallon (standard size and shape aquarium) It is a very simple tank and will eventually house a Dwarf Puffer. Anyways I am only growing Java Fern in the tank but am open to other ideas.

My question right now is lighting. I was thinking one 13 watt CFL as I do have a fixture hanging around the house already. If anyone had LED suggestions, or better suggestions, I am open to that as well.

Thank you!
P.S. I will add I do have some planted tank experience. I had a ten gallon for years fully planted (but was lit with tubes) as well as a couple bigger tanks partially planted. This however is my first 5 gallon, and I also haven't been into planted tanks for quite a few years so the new LED stuff and other options available are new to me which is why I wanted to ask.
maromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
ilurk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just assembled a diy led for a standard 5 gallon too. 10 watts and pretty bright at the height I hang it at. 3 x cree xp-g + heatsink about the size of my palm. 13 watt cfl is fine though.
ilurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Finnex Fugeray 16" will work well so as long as the tank isn't less than 10" tall. At that height you should be in and around low-light.

After tax and shipping its just under $50.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote