Coralife t5no 30" - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #91
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Harris View Post
I had mine die this week. If I knocked on it, it would flicker back on an eventually stayed on but is very dim.

I'm looking for a quality replacement but am having trouble in the 30" size. Would love high lighting. Any suggestions?
thats what my first one did.

the problem only seems to be with 30" T5NO.

for whatever reason the 30" T5HO does not have this problem.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #92
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Contact customer service. They'll replace it with a newer model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Harris View Post
I had mine die this week. If I knocked on it, it would flicker back on an eventually stayed on but is very dim.

I'm looking for a quality replacement but am having trouble in the 30" size. Would love high lighting. Any suggestions?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #93
sebdtw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Repaired or retrofit ?

My Coralife 30" T5NO did this flicker / die / burn bulbs failure thing too -- but it was after the 1-year warranty had lapsed. When I called their tech support, I was told that they didn't have a history of these 30" fixtures having a consistent fault. They didn't offer any special help other than to suggest that I buy new bulbs and see if it works. So as a result, I have 3 Colorax bulbs and 3 6700K bulbs, for a fixture that don't work. So I put it in a closet and haven't used it for another year.

Now I'm curious, with so many fresh posts lately about this fixture, if anybody tried to retrofit these, or to fix/replace the faulty part ? e.g. was it the ballast ? bad solder joints ?

I tried taking it apart once to see if I could fix it. I could not manage to get the ballast un-jammed from the tunnel. Anybody have a how to ?
Pimp My Ride? Noooo, Pimp My Aquarium! #51
sebdtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #94
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdtw View Post
My Coralife 30" T5NO did this flicker / die / burn bulbs failure thing too -- but it was after the 1-year warranty had lapsed. When I called their tech support, I was told that they didn't have a history of these 30" fixtures having a consistent fault. They didn't offer any special help other than to suggest that I buy new bulbs and see if it works. So as a result, I have 3 Colorax bulbs and 3 6700K bulbs, for a fixture that don't work. So I put it in a closet and haven't used it for another year.

Now I'm curious, with so many fresh posts lately about this fixture, if anybody tried to retrofit these, or to fix/replace the faulty part ? e.g. was it the ballast ? bad solder joints ?

I tried taking it apart once to see if I could fix it. I could not manage to get the ballast un-jammed from the tunnel. Anybody have a how to ?
I dunno but I kept my old fixture for this reason. I figured there might be a way to retrofit it or fix it.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #95
slowfoot
Algae Grower

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I'm having the exact problem... but with the 24" fixture. Based on the Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one. Strangely, my 30" has been running happily for four years... knock on wood.

I had 24" fixture for about 6 months and was happy with it. So much so that I recommended it to my parents when they started up their 20 gallon. Big mistake, by the way! Within a week of having it, theirs failed in a spectacular fashion - smoke, fire, and melted plastic fused to the top of their tank. I felt terrible for possibly inadvertently nearly causing them to lose their house.

Of course, I felt even more terrible when mine failed a few days later. Same issues described in the thread: bulbs have blackened ends and only flickered when turned on. I replaced the blackened bulbs and it worked again, but only for a week or so. At this point, I'm not really willing to waste any more expensive bulbs on a faulty fixture.

Just wanted to point out that the 24" Coralife T5NO has issues too.
slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #96
switch26
Algae Grower

Ok first thing I haven't seen anyone post about these fixtues is "What wattage are you guys trying to use in these fixtures"?

You guys do realize these fixtures can only put out a certain amount of watts?

Even if you put in a higher wattage bulb? That could be an issue..

I didn't realize this when i first got some T5's with my corallife fixture.. they both came with 39w bulbs, but my fixture could only put out 21 w per bulb..

could be part of your problem
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #97
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

If you're having issues, your best bet is to contact customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfoot View Post
Hate to drag up an old thread, but I'm having the exact problem... but with the 24" fixture. Based on the Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one. Strangely, my 30" has been running happily for four years... knock on wood.

I had 24" fixture for about 6 months and was happy with it. So much so that I recommended it to my parents when they started up their 20 gallon. Big mistake, by the way! Within a week of having it, theirs failed in a spectacular fashion - smoke, fire, and melted plastic fused to the top of their tank. I felt terrible for possibly inadvertently nearly causing them to lose their house.

Of course, I felt even more terrible when mine failed a few days later. Same issues described in the thread: bulbs have blackened ends and only flickered when turned on. I replaced the blackened bulbs and it worked again, but only for a week or so. At this point, I'm not really willing to waste any more expensive bulbs on a faulty fixture.

Just wanted to point out that the 24" Coralife T5NO has issues too.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote