AquaSun Quad T5- Opinions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

AquaSun Quad T5- Opinions?

I am considering getting a 30" for a 29g planted. The present light is not adequate at all and I'm trying to make a decision on what to buy that is still affordable for me. Any opinions on this fixture and the lights I should use in the fixture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheresy View Post
I am considering getting a 30" for a 29g planted. The present light is not adequate at all and I'm trying to make a decision on what to buy that is still affordable for me. Any opinions on this fixture and the lights I should use in the fixture?

that would be a bit overkill in terms of lighting, at most you should only need (2)T5 HO bulbs, take a look through the lighting section of the forums, there is a sticky by Hoppy that should give the information you need. With the (2)T5ho you would need co2, and a good fertilizer method unless you raise the fixture a good deal above the tank. Your tank would then cease to be low tech.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Msheresy
Planted Member

I must be blind. I looked at the stickies in the lighting section and didn't see what you referred me to. I'm using tap talk for ipad but it only ahows one sticky and it's not by hoppy re lighting. Can you link me to the thread?

I am a noob at this but I have aquired a good amount of plants from my fish club. I thought that the quad would be better because the depth but if I did go worth a double, which bulbs should I get? I'm dosing now with flourish ( that I'm refrigerating) but how often should I dose? How far apart should root tabs be? Would I have to add more than that? I have a ceramic/ glass diffuser. Do these really do anything?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheresy View Post
I must be blind. I looked at the stickies in the lighting section and didn't see what you referred me to. I'm using tap talk for ipad but it only ahows one sticky and it's not by hoppy re lighting. Can you link me to the thread?

I am a noob at this but I have aquired a good amount of plants from my fish club. I thought that the quad would be better because the depth but if I did go worth a double, which bulbs should I get? I'm dosing now with flourish ( that I'm refrigerating) but how often should I dose? How far apart should root tabs be? Would I have to add more than that? I have a ceramic/ glass diffuser. Do these really do anything?

Take a look at the second chart in the following link.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
and this thread is a good read as well.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

the worst assumption you can make is with lighting, you need less than you would think. There is only a couple scenario's that would allow for a quad bulb fixture and that would be with the light suspended almost 3' above the substrate. A double T-5ho fixture is all you really need, and with that depending on how high you had the light above the top of the tank you would probably need co2 injection and a good fertilizer routine to avoid producing an algae farm.

Look at the balance of a tank as a 3 leg stool. Too much or too little of one leg will make the tank an algae farm.

Light is the easiest thing to overdo, and with too much you will never get the tank in balance. If your light is too high, the plants are going to require more fertilizers and more co2 to grow correctly. With too much light it is impossible to provide that much for the plants.

I would first check out the light section, decide on how high the light will be above the tank, if it is in the medium or high category you will need injected co2, in which there are a plethora of topics on co2 systems available (fairly straight forward once you have the equipment on hand) Then comes the fertilizer method to choose. The flourish line of fertilizers is pretty decent, the directions are a bit light and work well for a low or low medium light tank, when you start into the high medium or high light tanks you will need quite a bit more. There is a cheaper method of fertilizing a tank, which involves using dry fertilizers and nightly dosing with a 50% water change to reset the system at the end of the week. It provides limitless fertilizers for the plants so you can cross one of the stool legs off the list of worries.

Check out this link for the fertilizer regimen (it looks more difficult than it really is)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

As for the fertilizer tabs, I would put them at the decremented distance from each other per the manufacturers directions, or one under each of your root feeding plants.

Your ceramic diffuser do work great with a pressurized co2 system, I was unsure if you are using a co2 system.

It seems like alot to take in at once, ask questions around the forum, there are many people here that will help you as best as they can. it is well worth it, and very satisfying when you get things up and running smoothly.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Msheresy
Planted Member

Wow. According to that I was way off. I was still following the 2 watts per gallon info but I still assumed that depth would play a role. Thanks so much for all the information!

I do not have a co2 system. I bought the ceramic diffusers off eBay but I didn't realize at that time that they were to be used with a co2 system. Guess I need to start researching that now.....