cleaning canister filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

cleaning canister filter

Hi
I just bought a fluval canister filter about 2 weeks ago to go along with the hob filter I have. Its been years since ive had a canister and Ive totally forgotten how to clean it out. I know its too soon to clean it out now but Im thinking in another cpl of weeks it will be time. Im not running carbon in it just the beads. I know I use tank water to clean it but do I clean everything in it? All the sponges? The beads?
Thanks for your help.
patrick
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)

Clean everything in your canister when doing water change. Squeeze the coarse sponge, gently shakes the bio media to get rid of gunks, wash the impeller etc, do all these with tank water if you can. I havent clean mine for more than a year. I dont see a need to clean it often, thats just my opinion. Is that 306 you got on sale during thanksgiving?
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks ryu1
so maybe I should wait a while then. I just want to make sure my water quality stays high since I just added rams. I change 5 gallons every week Im hoping thats enough?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Joraa—
"TirŤd~about to RetirŽ "

PTrader: (328/100%)

It depends on how often you trim plants, replant and live stock, I clean mine monthly~~max 2 months.... with 50%~70% water change weekly. Tho' you feel like its not need to clean, but actually there is...for flow rate and if you are using inline reactor its get clog.

@Ryu1~~No wonder why you have those nasty Algae in your plants....Clean often. 1 year is a way way to long to wait to clean..
Joraa— is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Joraan my tank is pretty full I do biweekly trimmings and tend to over feed so maybe once a month then. I have a 40 gallon is 5 gallons a week a big enough water change?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
It depends on how often you trim plants, replant and live stock, I clean mine monthly~~max 2 months.... with 50%~70% water change weekly. Tho' you feel like its not need to clean, but actually there is...for flow rate and if you are using inline reactor its get clog.

@Ryu1~~No wonder why you have those nasty Algae in your plants....Clean often. 1 year is a way way to long to wait to clean..
haha, no I dont think so, i believe it is because of my light being too strong, beside those are new filters in my high tech. The one that i didnt clean for over a yr is a low tech algae free, maybe i am just lazy. I still think cleaning it every 6 months is adequate.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

You should try to change at least 10 gals a week for a 40 gal. 20% water changes is the minimum in general for water changes, but 25-30% may be better depending on stock, plants, etc..
szenic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay thanks szenic will do I just thought rams liked older water but will def do 10 gallon now
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Well rams like an established tank with completed cycle, bacteria, etc.. How old is your setup?
szenic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its about a year and a half yrs old

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.