Sockets
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (57/100%)

Sockets

Hi everyone...haven't been here in a long time...been so busy but I'm trying to get back into the hobby I love, so here goes.

Last year my 100g crashed because of hurricane Irene and then a snowstorm that knocked out power for 7 days.
Somehow I think I got a surge because the loss of power resulted in a loss of my really really cheap made in china light fixtures...so
I purchased 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39watt T5HO bulbs to begin building a new fixture to hang over the tank.
I'm looking for waterproof, shunted sockets and I can't seem to find them.
Do they not exist?
I figured this would be an easy project but like everything else in life...it's not...
SO...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Drew
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sockets for the bulbs?

I'm not familiar with electrical stuff, so I don't know what a shunted socket is.

If you are just trying for a waterproof endcap, you can purchase those online. I've also seen DIY versions involving bicycle innertubes (probably only works for t12, maybe t8).

I've also seen versions where they directly soldered the wires to the bulbs, and then dipped the whole end in Plasti-Dip.

May be able to rig something out of those acrylic tubes used to shield bulbs. Those usually come with a little cap that you may be able to seal onto the fixture or something.
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Shunted sockets are fluorescent sockets with an already install shunt connecting both pin connectors. Old style fluorescent sockets and ballasts use(d) non-shunted sockets.

Here are a couple of sources
http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...-shunted-p410/
http://sunlightsupply.com/p-12157-t5...t-sockets.aspx
http://www.aquabuys.com/p/ss_t5_socket.html
http://www.reefshops.com/waterproof-...eef.html?sl=EN
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Coltonorr

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Sockets for the bulbs?

I'm not familiar with electrical stuff, so I don't know what a shunted socket is.

If you are just trying for a waterproof endcap, you can purchase those online. I've also seen DIY versions involving bicycle innertubes (probably only works for t12, maybe t8).

I've also seen versions where they directly soldered the wires to the bulbs, and then dipped the whole end in Plasti-Dip.

May be able to rig something out of those acrylic tubes used to shield bulbs. Those usually come with a little cap that you may be able to seal onto the fixture or something.
Yes I'm look for sockets for the bulbs...I have 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39w T5HO bulbs...essentially I'm looking to build my own fixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
Shunted sockets are fluorescent sockets with an already install shunt connecting both pin connectors. Old style fluorescent sockets and ballasts use(d) non-shunted sockets.

Here are a couple of sources
http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...-shunted-p410/
http://sunlightsupply.com/p-12157-t5...t-sockets.aspx
http://www.aquabuys.com/p/ss_t5_socket.html
http://www.reefshops.com/waterproof-...eef.html?sl=EN
Thanks dbosman,
I did see those. The first link is not a waterproof socket, though it is shunted. The other 3 links are waterproof, but I can't tell if they are shunted. I was hoping to find shunted waterproof sockets. The tank is open topped and I didn't want to cover the light. However I may have to cover the light if waterproof shunted sockets do not exist.

Maybe someone else will chime in...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Thanks for the replies!
The other 3 links are waterproof, but I can't tell if they are shunted. I was hoping to find shunted waterproof sockets. The tank is open topped and I didn't want to cover the light. However I may have to cover the light if waterproof shunted sockets do not exist.
Maybe someone else will chime in...
Most modern sockets are already shunted. I know one of the water proof ones I linked to has two pair of push in connectors, so you can jumper them easily.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Coltonorr

Thank you dboseman.
I appreciate the input.
I'll look into them.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Hi everyone...haven't been here in a long time...been so busy but I'm trying to get back into the hobby I love, so here goes.

Last year my 100g crashed because of hurricane Irene and then a snowstorm that knocked out power for 7 days.
Somehow I think I got a surge because the loss of power resulted in a loss of my really really cheap made in china light fixtures...so
I purchased 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39watt T5HO bulbs to begin building a new fixture to hang over the tank.
I'm looking for waterproof, shunted sockets and I can't seem to find them.
Do they not exist?
I figured this would be an easy project but like everything else in life...it's not...
SO...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Drew
Hi Drew,

Something like these?

Don't know if they are shunted or not. AH Supply, call and talk to Kim and he can answer your questions.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Coltonorr

Thanks Seattle,
Yes thats what I'm looking for, but they do need to be shunted.
I spoke with Kim and he mentioned that his wouldn't work because
they are for a programmed ballast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.