Longest Time You
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Longest Time You

#1- Keep an aquascape? (Not counting trimming work. ) Same HardScape Same plants.

#2 - The the same fauna, (not counting removing a dead fish or a few babes)
Same Fauna without additions.

#3 - Ran the same equipment Filter, Lights, Heater?

I just realized I'm coming up on 1 year for the HardScape & Equipment. The fish are that old, although they spent time in pond for the summer. The shrimp are the only new additions 2mos. old.

I've seldom have gone much past 6mos in the past in any tanks as I just tended to get bored. Maybe it's the slower growing low light plants that I choose that's giving me the inner peace and desire to let the tank grow.

BONUS POINTS

***If your longest running tank is currently up, please post a Then/Now pic.***

Last edited by DogFish; 11-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Added Bonus Request
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I seem to let things run a lot longer, so I had several set ups going for several years. Low tech, so nothing was getting out of hand.
I recently took almost everything down to move it, and mostly did not set up each tank the way it was, but did something different.
2 tanks stayed in the house.

Longest 'same set up' that is still running:
125 gallon with Java Fern, Albizzia root, Senegal Bichers, Clown Loaches, Filimentosa Barbs and a few other fish.
When I try other plants in there the Barbs eat them, so while I have added plants over the years, the Barbs have removed them.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

back in the day ( pre wife and kids ) I would set up a tank and leave it for years. The only time I would do a complete redo would be after a complete die off. Not sure if board is the right word but I would get the urge for something different after a while and would proceed with a new setup. The problem here was I ended up with 20 plus tanks in a small apartment.

I still feel the same now as I did then. The difference is that at my age, I forget what everything looks like so every morning is like Christmas.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
....Longest 'same set up' that is still running:
125 gallon with Java Fern, Albizzia root, Senegal Bichers, Clown Loaches, Filimentosa Barbs and a few other fish.
When I try other plants in there the Barbs eat them, so while I have added plants over the years, the Barbs have removed them.
I'd be interested in seeing a pic. of that tank, can you figure out what year you started that one?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

3+ yrs.
pretty much set it, forget it and fill another one LOL
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I set it up right after we refinished the hardwood floor, and that was at least 3 years ago. Maybe 4.
Sorry, no pics. Rotten camera, only good for outdoor pics. Tanks end up dark.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

2 years, there were no LFS in Iowa that sold any plants I was interested in or fish. Then we moved back to Michigan so the tank had to be torn down. Not a lot has changed but I've added new plants and the hardscape was changed. Still have the big anubias "tree" that everything hides in, especially khuli loaches.
Canon Pimp Club #032
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

My tank is over 5 years old now and other than adding new fish now and then nothing hardscape or equipment wise has changed. The plants are also pretty much the same except for a few that died off initially.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
flc
Algae Grower

I had a 46 gallon bowfront that went undisturbed for four years. It was strictly hardscape and plastic plants due to the fauna. It was stable enough where it bred Corydoras, Harlequin Rasboras, and Khuli Loaches.

In the space of two weeks, a heater went into always on mode, a softball sized Apple Snail named Petunia (the cause of the lack plants) died of old age, and the seals on the tank failed. Ugh! It was really a fun tank and very low maintenance.

P.S. I'm not sure that I've ever smelled anything quite like a rotting Apple Snail. We weren't sure if it was just going into its normal senescent period or it was dead. By the time it was removed, it was pretty ripe.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

#1- Keep an aquascape? (Not counting trimming work. ) Same HardScape Same plants.

5 years. Turtle tank with only driftwood, pebbles, jungle vals, and mosses.

#2 - The the same fauna, (not counting removing a dead fish or a few babes)
Same Fauna without additions.

Same tank as above, 7 years, as the turtle was given to me by a close friend. I had him in an unsuitable environment for 2 years before I made him his own habitat.

#3 - Ran the same equipment Filter, Lights, Heater?

Not very long. Less than 1 year in most cases. I do have a pond pump that is 12 years old (previously owned by my father) that I now use to pump water from my sumps back into my tanks, it has never been gutted or repaired and is still in working condition.

Bonus Points

I'll get these later, gonna head out for the day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.