75 gallon questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Gregoryalln854
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

75 gallon questions

I had a few questions about my 75gallon, before I found this site I purchased stuff that was recommended to me from another site. Since the purchase I found this site and haven't been back to the other site cause of the lack of knowledge. So here are a few questions that I have been struggling with.

1. I was hoping to just do hardy plants with tetra's and maybe Shrimp or Rams with out using c02. The lighting that I purchased is 2-t5 HO's. I've been told this is was to much light for a 75 gallon, is there any way this will work, or what would be better options?

2. I'm currently running 2 Marineland 360 Cannister filters with an external Hydor heater on one. When I did reef I always ran a wetdry, I like the wetdry for two reasons, first it skims the surface getting rid of the oil build up, second I can put the heater in the sump and keep everything nice and hidden. I was told that with Tetra's and shrimp you cannot run a wet dry, is this true and are there any exceptions? Also how does a wet dry affect plants? I'm trying to keep things simple so if I decide to go this route I prefer not to seal it, etc.
Gregoryalln854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Small livestock like shrimp and Tetras can get into the sump if the overflow is not screened, and screening it in a planted tank leads to it getting plugged with leaves. It sure depends on the style of overflow you have, but I would suggest a large surface area so that
a) it cannot get plugged with leaves
b) the force of the water going over the edge is less so the smaller livestock is not caught in the current.
I think the sump will become a reserve stock of shrimp no matter what you do, and this is probably not a problem.

If the light fixture can be raised above the tank that makes it adjustable, so you can customize the light to the level of care you want to invest. Get a timer, too. Then you can also control the lighting by how many hours it is on, and if there is a break in the middle of the day. (research Siesta as a method of algae control)
You can also grow floating plants on the water surface, and this will shade the lower part of the tank. You will have to figure out how to keep them out of the overflow. Post some pictures, if you already have the overflow. Lets figure out how to make it work!
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a tandem tank set up with a 40 breeder on top of a 20 breeder. Filtration consists of a Fluval 405 pulling water out of the bottom of the 40b and into the top of the 20 b below. Water is then pulled from the bottom of the 20b and returned up th the 40 b via a custom spraybar on top. I have great wate movement in both tanks with a nice flow accross the tops, down the sides and back accross the bottoms. There are two Jager heaters in the bottom tank.

The upper tank is heavily planted lo tech, dirt with sand cap. The bottom tank houses a bunch of plants in pots, sort of a grow out tank. The tanks are on opposing lighting cycles, the benifits of which are numerous and I wont get into here.

There are shrimp in both tanks and if I want to promote breeding, I would fit a piece of Poret foam ove the intakes. I use this stuff in other setups and it minimally affects water flow. In fact, the bio film that grows on it is a great food source for shrimplets. That said, it would need to be rinced on a bi weekly basis.

If you find your lighting to be too much, elevate it. I would actuall reccomend starting out this way and SLOWLY lower the light until you are happy ( no algae)

Finally, IMO shrimp and Rams combined are not a good combo
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
I have a tandem tank set up with a 40 breeder on top of a 20 breeder. Filtration consists of a Fluval 405 pulling water out of the bottom of the 40b and into the top of the 20 b below. Water is then pulled from the bottom of the 20b and returned up th the 40 b via a custom spraybar on top. I have great wate movement in both tanks with a nice flow accross the tops, down the sides and back accross the bottoms. There are two Jager heaters in the bottom tank.

The upper tank is heavily planted lo tech, dirt with sand cap. The bottom tank houses a bunch of plants in pots, sort of a grow out tank. The tanks are on opposing lighting cycles, the benifits of which are numerous and I wont get into here.

There are shrimp in both tanks and if I want to promote breeding, I would fit a piece of Poret foam ove the intakes. I use this stuff in other setups and it minimally affects water flow. In fact, the bio film that grows on it is a great food source for shrimplets. That said, it would need to be rinced on a bi weekly basis.

If you find your lighting to be too much, elevate it. I would actuall reccomend starting out this way and SLOWLY lower the light until you are happy ( no algae)

Finally, IMO shrimp and Rams combined are not a good combo
Can I ask you a question about your filtration......

How do you control the flow with the 405 so that you don't have an overflow issue with either tank? I really want to do something like a grow out tank and use a set up like that but not sure how to go about it.....

Sorry to highjack the thread you can pm or point me to a thread that would explain...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Gregoryalln854
Algae Grower

I'm currently not running an sump/overflow but was debating about putting one in and eliminating 1 canister. On my old reef tank I used some plastic gutter screen to keep my smaller fish out and this seemed to work. I'm going to look into finding a cheap wet dry this weekend, I'll try to post pics soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I find many people will tell you that things can't be done but they often don't have real hands on experience with trying it!
Since I so often find bad info, I often try things and find it works. Once it works for you, you have what you want and can ignore the chatter that says it won't work.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

My fish go over the overflow but I just fish them back out. It seems to be the platies that really want to see what goodies are in the sump. With the Eshopp I could pull the standpipe and down they would go, with the drilled tank I have enough room to get a net into the box. When the Eshopp was on the tank there was only about 400-500gph and there is at least double that now, no difference in fish surfer numbers after the first week.

Skimmer box teeth do get clogged very easily with leaves, the plastic hardware cloth I have after cutting off the teeth doesn't. If the box is adjustable in height you can lower it so even clogged water can go over the top of the box without overfilling the tank. A while back I was annoyed with fish surfers and floating plants and put a window screen slipcover over the box very very loosely which reduced flow but did prevent the clogging as well as leaves collect at the surface and the cover allowed water in lower down. I haven't ever had the sponge on the standpipe clog.

Be interesting to have a wet dry on a low light tank. The CO2 would be constantly at atmospheric level which might be a good thing.

Raising the light and window screen work really well to reduce light. I use the spillover light to light the room but basically it is wasted light. You could see if you like the look of floaters in the tank or even have the lights high and submerge pots with bog plants at the back of the tank. Lots of really interesting floating plants out there. Many can be a nuisance with an overflow but some are great. I have Brazilian Pennywort, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, now and wish I had a good excuse to try out Asian Water Grass, Hygroryza aristata. As they are floating stem plans they can be anchored pretty easily. Search 'riparium' for ideas on how to add bog plants to your tank.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuffer View Post
Can I ask you a question about your filtration......

How do you control the flow with the 405 so that you don't have an overflow issue with either tank? I really want to do something like a grow out tank and use a set up like that but not sure how to go about it.....

Sorry to highjack the thread you can pm or point me to a thread that would explain...
Its not really a hijack because the question you pose is what I beleive to be the reason more people do not do the type of set up I have.

I found that as long as my over flow configuration on the 40 was somewhat oversized, overflow would not be an issue. BUT........
The 40 has a seperate overflow situated higher than the one leading to the 20. This overflow is piped into the 20 as well. If the 40 for some reason overfills, the extra volume of water will drain into the 20. The 20 also has an additional, higher overflow which drains into a floor drain. This way, if everything clogs up, the water will leave the system and not end up on the floor.
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
dhuffer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorworm View Post
Its not really a hijack because the question you pose is what I beleive to be the reason more people do not do the type of set up I have.

I found that as long as my over flow configuration on the 40 was somewhat oversized, overflow would not be an issue. BUT........
The 40 has a seperate overflow situated higher than the one leading to the 20. This overflow is piped into the 20 as well. If the 40 for some reason overfills, the extra volume of water will drain into the 20. The 20 also has an additional, higher overflow which drains into a floor drain. This way, if everything clogs up, the water will leave the system and not end up on the floor.
Interesting thank you for the info
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Gregoryalln854
Algae Grower

I think I'm going to a wet dry again when I get some more money. Anybody know what I could get for a C-360 marineland and a 300 w Hydor Heater?

Last edited by Gregoryalln854; 12-02-2012 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Take the money and run!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote