Time to thin the heard, what to rehome?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Time to thin the heard, what to rehome?

I have a 46 gallon heavily planted tank with an Eheim 2217 and spray bar. I like the look of the tank but I know I have way too many fish! I'm starting to see some nipping. Below is what I have with their stories.
2 bright orange platies. These were bought as tester fish for my shrimp tank, I planned of feeding them to my cichlids, but did not have the heart to do so. I like them because of their bright color and they pick algae off the plants and wood.

1 adult male silver angelfish. He is one of the first fish I ever bought and is about 2+ years old now. I call him Big Daddy (his mate died after their last eggs hatched a while back). I have no plans on rehoming him.

5 black tetras. I got these at a great price from my LFS, was more of an impulse buy.

10 cardinal tetras. I love these little guys! They were in a qt tank for a month assuming that half would die, thatís why I bought so many. But all 10 are still going strong 4 months later.

7 Pristella tetras. 1 was actually born in my tank 14 months ago! Iíve had them for 2 years as well.

1 yoyo loach. Keeps the snail pop down

3 Otocinclus. Eat the algea that grows on the plants.

PlantedTankLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

sounds like you need to decide which family of tetras you enjoy the most?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know.... I just dont want one of the same fish. I like having many different types of fish, and they all school in their own group. What is a safe number total for tetras in my tank? I have no problem with water quality, but I dont think it's fair to have that many fish in there. It was fine when they were all small, but now most are full grown.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

"1 angel fish, 6 pristella tetras 10 cardinal tetras, 5 black tetras, 2 guppies, 1 featherfin rainbow, 1 gold spot butterfly plecostomus, and 1 yoyo loach."

who to reome is up to personal taste, if my tank I would start with keeping...
the angle(because you love it) and the cardinals (which you also love) your postings make it clear these are favorites so start there.

then MY taste would also keep
*the pristellas, I love how they move together.
*the pleco and loach, they are working and keeping thier claim to a spot.
*and the featherfin rainbow..BUt I would add a few more to make it happier

sorry but I would kick the guppies and black tetras to the curb for room for more featherfins ...in a mixed sex grouping they will display and flash that great finage!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

Please refer to my original post. You referred to my signature, not my current stocking list I posted.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

opps, got them mixed up!
it is still back to you deciding which groups of tetras you prefer the looks of.
remove one group and see how the dynamics of the tank changes.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto: The 3 schools of Tetras are 2 too many. Get down to one species, and perhaps bump that up a bit.

Loaches are social fish.
Yoyos can eat the smaller fish (my Yoyos ate adult Neon Tetras when the Yoyos were barely 4" long). I would trade in the Yoyo for a small group of Zebra Loaches. Good for snails, a better social group, but won't eat the small Tetras.

Platies are not really warm water fish, so that might be another place to reduce the stocking in this tank. Of course you could always start another tank with cooler water fish!
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've never seen the zebras before. I have another yoyo in my chichlid tank, but he is smaller and darker color. I think my best option is to re home the 5 black neons and the patties. I really don't want to re home the pristellas because I've had them so long and doing so well in the tank, and I LOVE my cardinals. Any chance some of those will start to die off? lol

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
PlantedTankLover
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay this is crazy! What I thought was a yoyo in my cichlid tank is a zebra, thats why he's so small lol. Looks like I need to switch the two, if I cant catch them both.