Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

UPDATE:

Tank rim is almost off, I have been doing it very slowly as to not destroy the tank lol, I did put a few little scratches in the top of the glass as I cut through the rim, but its nothing I think I should be concerned about.
Hopefully the rim will be on and curing by weekends end.

There is a very big road project going on in the area, in which they are adding two lanes to a highway, and re-aligning a major road. So the land they are moving the road through had some very old dead deciduous trees so I stopped by and grabbed a few branches. I am pretty sure they are a safe hardwood, no odor except when submerged, where they smell like other hardwoods I have had the opportunity to smell lol I might run back and grab a few more for some variety and hope to get something going. I have sort of given up on the smaller tree stump, and have changed directions. We will see how it turns out lol

Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Removing rims is a CHORE! But it's so worth it

I have the same filter! I love it!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
Removing rims is a CHORE! But it's so worth it

I have the same filter! I love it!
I have a replacement rim, I need to run a top on this tank because of the species of rainbows I plan to keep (they are big time jumpers) The rim on the tank cracked so it needed replacement. I would LOVE to run this full rimless, but I do not think its an option. I had heard great things about the filter, I test ran it just to check it out, I cannot wait to get it on this tank!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #34
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Rim removed!! I just need to clean the edges a bit and get some silicone and attach the new rim. I started playing around with some of the wood placement, and potential areas for the rock outcropping. I could not find a suitable tree stump so I did find some wood. I am thinking the far right will have a noticeable rock slope to the back right corner (the right side of the tank will be facing away from the traffic flow of the room, thus low viewage (sometimes being an Architectural designer brings out the OCD in me) So all of my tanks are set to the traffic flow in and out of the room. I will leave the wood open mostly underneath with crypts along the bottom of the rock hill. I will attempt to leave some planting areas built into the rock hill so I can place some substrate and plant some various small stems or crypts up the hill. I would like some Fissidens fontanus to grow along the middle branch where the cut in the wood, and possibly some flame moss in other areas. I want to do java fern or the trident variant in the upper portion of the rock hill where the wood will meet (seemingly growing out of or pinned inside the rock) The far left half of the tank is most likely going to be just a carpet with a few small rock outcroppings, and some of my larger stems in the very back, I will probably keep a well shaped bush of ludwigia 'cuba' in the back far left, with some of my sunset hygro near by. I will also keep some hygrophila pinnatifida
somewhere along the rock hill as well, that stuff will grow on ANYTHING, right now in my 36g its anchored in the substrate, burrowing into the stone, and in other tanks growing along some wood. (one of my favorite plants) The rock is going to be a volcanic based lace rock (should not modify the water params much)

I am open to suggestions as well. There are so many plants I have not tried yet. And I want to keep this more of a nature scape instead of the colectoritis tank my 36g has more or less become lol.

Here are a couple of pics of the wood layout (don't mind the cups, I needed them lol)

Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #35
dbl_dbl17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great stocking list, although the Furcatas stand out a bit. This should be a beauty of a tank.
dbl_dbl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl_dbl17 View Post
Great stocking list, although the Furcatas stand out a bit. This should be a beauty of a tank.
out of curiosity why do you think the Furcatas would stand out? Tiny guys, same area of the world as the other rainbows planned. They technically are a "blue eye"

I cannot wait to get this sucker up and running!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have a bunch of crypts these days. Let me know if you want some.

I think the red cup is just too red!
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I have a bunch of crypts these days. Let me know if you want some.

I think the red cup is just too red!
I will certanly contact you once the thing is flooded. I have a couple of crypts right now in my 36g (green gecko and some other wendtii variant) There are a couple more I want to add.

I think the red cup is fitting... brings a focal point to the scape lol
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #39
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

I was able to finally get a decent picture of one of my male M.Herbertaxelrodi that will be moving to the 40b with his other friends. I am not sure what was up with them. They usually do the breeding thing right as the lights come on as with other rainbows, but tonight they decided to do the dance after feeding time, maybe there was something in the mosquito larva lol

the two males were flashing at each just before he went for the girls. This guy used to be the sub-dominant male, but over the past month he has overthrown the older male and now the older guy goes and hides in the plants (you can see him in the lower left behind the ludwigia) eventually I think power will change hands again lol

Here he is.
please excuse the dirty glass, it was a quick water change this week, and I did not get around to cleaning it lol
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #40
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks good Noah.. will be watching. I just need to get off my butt and get to work on the tanks! I just have to many thing going on right now and no gumpsion.

Curt

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
theantman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

build looking great so far! what inline diffuser are you going to use? i'm setting up my first planted with rena xp3 and was looking for ways to get co2 injected.
thanks
theantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantman View Post
build looking great so far! what inline diffuser are you going to use? i'm setting up my first planted with rena xp3 and was looking for ways to get co2 injected.
thanks
Its a Waterplant Multifunction co2 diffuser. Its a pretty good diffuser, I never see any bubbles and my drop checker is bright green. I have it down line just outside the filter, so I am guessing the co2 is diffusing all the little bubbles on the way out, and little is left in the form of gas by the time it reaches the end.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Tank stand delivered. That was fast! I ordered wed. and by Friday noon its here lol
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #44
scbrooks87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Tank stand delivered. That was fast! I ordered wed. and by Friday noon its here lol
Which stand did you order? From where? Having trouble finding any pre-fab stuff for a 40 breeder... Currently expecting to have to DIY a stand for mine.

Thanks!
-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #45
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
Which stand did you order? From where? Having trouble finding any pre-fab stuff for a 40 breeder... Currently expecting to have to DIY a stand for mine.

Thanks!
-Scott
It is an Aquatic Fundamentals stand, it got great reviews. I ordered it from Doctor Foster & smith, cheapest price around and with free shipping. It the stand built for the 50/65 gallon tanks, they have the same footprint of the 40B