Help Me Revamp My 10g!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

Help Me Revamp My 10g!

I have a 10 gallon tank that I'm looking to turn into a high tech tank. Right now it's a low tech tank with mainly vals, floating water sprite, and hair algae. The only residents are 2 green neon tetras ( I lost the rest after 7 days without power after Sandy). The only decor is some petrified wood, and the substrate is inert gravel topping some plant specific substrate. The tank is lit by a 27 watt CFL bulb from a desk lamp. It's pretty bright, which has led to algae problems with the current low tech setup.

I'm looking to convert the tank to a medium/high tech tank. The vision I have in mind is of a field of DHG Belem (I currently have a bit of it growing in my emersed tank), with a planting of some stem plants (particular ones I have in mind are Rotala wallichi, R. macandra 'Japan Red', R. 'mini', and Ludwigia senegalensis) on the left side of the tank. There'd be a border of downoi or some small crypt and some rocks in between the stems and the DHG. The fauna would be a school of green neon tetras and possibly some zebra otos and RCS/CRS.

I'm looking to replace the substrate with sand, as it seems as if though sand is better for growing carbet plants such as DHG. I'm still undecided as to whether black or white sand would look better with the kind of setup I have in mind. Also, should I spend the money on one of the plant specific sands or should I just get inert Petco sand and use root tabs with it?

As for providing CO2, I'm looking to use the Fluval 88g nano system. Is this a good system, and would it be possible to use paintball cartridges instead of the ones that Fluval sells?
\_\

Last edited by Axelrodi202; 12-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: added details
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

Can this be moved the nano tank subforum?
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.