Nikon 85 1.8G - Great Budget Lens!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nikon 85 1.8G - Great Budget Lens!

Hey everybody! I picked this lens up today and I know a lot of people are always looking for a nice budget lens, and man, this is one sweet budget lens!

Normally I would have went with the more expensive 85 1.4G, but every review I saw mentioned how this new Nikon lens outperformed the 1.4G is almost every test, including sharpness and focus speed. So I figured I would save $1k and pick this bad boy up today while a local store was having a promo where they paid the sales tax.

I haven't got a chance to shoot much with it yet, but this thing is razor sharp even at 1.8, and dangerously sharp by f/2. It will be absolutely awesome for portraits! I can't wait to use it on a wedding or engagement session.

It has a very solid build to it, even though it's plastic fantastic it has a very durable, quality feel. To be honest, it doesn't even feel like plastic. Based on my 50 1.4G I thought the manual focus ring would feel cheap but it doesn't at all, feels just as high quality as my 24-70 and 70-200, in fact it feels higher quality because it seems a little more dampened.

Plus, with the money saved, now I can buy a 16-35G VR

So yeah, you cant go wrong with this lens at $500, I recommend it to everyone looking for awesome performance on a budget!

TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Kayen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wonder how the Canon's are compared to this... I need a new lens.. my place got broken into, and all my lens were stolen, I happened to have my camera with my 50mm 1.8 on me that day... so I do need to get some new lens' again...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Do yourself a favor and get a 85 1.4 or a 50 1.2 or a 105/200 Micro lens.
I highly recommend manual focus. You will still spend less than the current models, in addition to that they are built to last a lifetime in Japan vs cheaply made stuff from China. IMHO
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Always invest in Prime lenses, they will perform much better than zoom lenses and you can get used lenses here: KEH.

Since there is almost nothing on a manual focus lens to break, you have a risk-free purchase. KEH also offers returns on all items sold within 14 days.

I have had a great deal of luck with KEH.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
HX67
Planted Member

What a great timing.
Been looking for an affordable glass around 80-100 mm range for awhile.
I think I'm gonna go with your recommendation. Found one (1!) locally, even.

Thanks for putting this up!

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
kubalik
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

Yup, I picked up that lens some time ago and fell in love with it at once. Can't beat the price on that superb piece of glass.It's also very light.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
SMB
Algae Grower

Looks like your shooting with a D3s. The difference in speed between a 1.4 and 1.8 lens should be minimal. With that camera ISO 200 one stop up to ISO 400, you loose nothing.
My favorite lens is still the 17-35mm. ( Have not tried the newer 16-35mm.)
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
Looks like your shooting with a D3s. The difference in speed between a 1.4 and 1.8 lens should be minimal. With that camera ISO 200 one stop up to ISO 400, you loose nothing.
The D3s can shoot in the dark, you can up the ISO to 1600 and not notice a difference. Getting better/faster glass is always the most important.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Wonder how the Canon's are compared to this... I need a new lens.. my place got broken into, and all my lens were stolen, I happened to have my camera with my 50mm 1.8 on me that day... so I do need to get some new lens' again...
From what I've seen, the Canon version (85 1.8) is also a great great lens. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the new Nikon version, but obviously the Nikon 85 1.8G is newer and possibly improved in optical design over the older Canon version, but I really have no idea how accurate that is, just a theory of a possibility. Sorry to hear about the break-in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldvalente View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a 85 1.4 or a 50 1.2 or a 105/200 Micro lens.
I highly recommend manual focus. You will still spend less than the current models, in addition to that they are built to last a lifetime in Japan vs cheaply made stuff from China. IMHO
Quote:
Always invest in Prime lenses, they will perform much better than zoom lenses and you can get used lenses here: KEH.

Since there is almost nothing on a manual focus lens to break, you have a risk-free purchase. KEH also offers returns on all items sold within 14 days.

I have had a great deal of luck with KEH.
Yeah, I'm normally all about buying the more expensive glass like the Nikon 85 1.4G, but literally every review I read mentioned this new 1.8G performs better in nearly every category than the 1.4G and backed it up with samples. The mansurovs review is a great example of this.

I disagree about buying manual focus lenses as I have no desire to do so whatsoever, but that could be a younger generation thing I shoot professionally for weddings and portraits as well, so I cant be mucking around with manual focus. And on the Japan vs. China made thing, every lens I own besides this new lens is made in Japan, and none of them feel cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX67 View Post
What a great timing.
Been looking for an affordable glass around 80-100 mm range for awhile.
I think I'm gonna go with your recommendation. Found one (1!) locally, even.

Thanks for putting this up!
No problem, glad it helped! I think you'll be very impressed with the performance/price ratio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubalik View Post
Yup, I picked up that lens some time ago and fell in love with it at once. Can't beat the price on that superb piece of glass.It's also very light.
Yeah, its perfectly balanced on my D3s and the D700, and its perfect when paired with an ungripped D700. Even the mansurovs review of the lens mentioned how well balanced it was on all the higher end models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
Quote:
The D3s can shoot in the dark, you can up the ISO to 1600 and not notice a difference. Getting better/faster glass is always the most important.
Hehe yeah, they don't call the D3s the king of darkness for no reason, and I think its truly amazing that it is still considered the low light king even after the release of the D4 and 1DX. I really love the camera, I'll replace it with a D4 soon enough, but I'm really in no rush whatsoever as this camera does everything perfectly well for me.

Last edited by TickleMyElmo; 11-21-2012 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: .
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
SMB
Algae Grower

Came across this nice list of fast primes.
B&H also a reliable store. Have dealt with them for over 20 years.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...=FastGlass2012
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.