Unique Antique Aquarium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

This might sound "out-there" but compared to $4500 for the TV star to clean up the tank I think this might map a little more sense.

You could remove the glass, return and overflow. Then install/build a new glass tank inside the frame, which would eliminate contact with all of the Metal. The bottom glass could be drilled for return/out flow access. You could use clear acrylic tubes attached to bulkhead fittings for your return/outflow plumbing.

A canister underneath could be house in an antique box or chest.

The substrate lights could still be used as they would be able to shine through the glass base. Maybe use LEDs in those fixtures.

Above hand a PAR38LED, the bulbs kinda steam punk to begin with.

Only down side is you loose the cool fountain outflow & return.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #17
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have never seen anything like this aquarium! What a find! Before I did anything I would ask myself how to determine what it's value is as a historical piece, and how much I would have to deviate from it's current condition to use it without losing that value as an antique. I'm sure you already know that but my oh my, what a unique find!

Is is crass and crude to ask you how dear it came? If so, just tell me to shut up.

Wow...just...wow!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Yet another cool tank!!!!!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
Thanks man

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
This might sound "out-there" but compared to $4500 for the TV star to clean up the tank I think this might map a little more sense.

You could remove the glass, return and overflow. Then install/build a new glass tank inside the frame, which would eliminate contact with all of the Metal. The bottom glass could be drilled for return/out flow access. You could use clear acrylic tubes attached to bulkhead fittings for your return/outflow plumbing.

A canister underneath could be house in an antique box or chest.

The substrate lights could still be used as they would be able to shine through the glass base. Maybe use LEDs in those fixtures.

Above hand a PAR38LED, the bulbs kinda steam punk to begin with.

Only down side is you loose the cool fountain outflow & return.
I plan on using a canister but I think I can just epoxy the bottom and corners to make it work. I epoxied the bottom of my Victorian tank and it seems to have worked fine. Replacing the glass won't solve the problem of the brass corners as the glass fits into grooves on the sides of each corner with the brass corners remaining exposed to the water. I think the tank would loose too much of its character by replacing the fountain and return. I can also coat the outsides of the pipes with epoxy and use vinyl tubing on the inside. Only problem with this is the arms of the fountain having such a small I.D. I examined the inside of the fountain head closely and see that it is actually one copper tube going through a hole in the nickel finial. There's a small hole in the copper tube in the inside center of the finial. The tube appears to be soldered into the finial and the thought crossed my mind of torching the finial to melt the solder and remove the copper tube. Then possibly a stainless steel tube could be used to replace it but then I'm losing the originality of the fountain. When this was new there would have been a contrast between the shiny nickel finial and shiny copper arms. The fountain arms are the only part of this restoration that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I have never seen anything like this aquarium! What a find! Before I did anything I would ask myself how to determine what it's value is as a historical piece, and how much I would have to deviate from it's current condition to use it without losing that value as an antique. I'm sure you already know that but my oh my, what a unique find!

Is is crass and crude to ask you how dear it came? If so, just tell me to shut up.

Wow...just...wow!
Thank you. I don't think patina is going to be an issue here as this is most likely the only one of these tanks that has survived the last century or so since it was made. I'm either going to have a professional polish the metal on the tank, stand top, and stand nickel accents or do it myself. Then I'll coat the outside with whatever is used to prevent them from tarnishing again and epoxy all the metal on the inside to seal it from contact with the water. I'll remove all the original sealant that I can and reseal with black silicone. I will either rewire the original light sockets and switch or replace them. I'll probably use LED's so as not to build up too much heat. It will still look like it did when new so I don't see the value dropping but increasing once it's restored. I got it for a good price but it wasn't a steal. It was about half the price of what I paid for my Victorian tank.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I follow your thoughts on keeping the fountain & over flow.

Would fabricating the riser pipes and fountain arms out of acyclic tube be an option? With acrylic riser pipes and fountain arms there would be minimal metal contact in the original fountain head.

You could use clear acrylic and use copper krylon spray paint to get a functional reproduction.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Jules
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome find!!! I love those old Victorian tanks - totally jealous of you, I've never actually seen one in the flesh around these parts.

+1 on the pipes being safe - unless your water is highly corrosive (like that ghastly copper-destroying stuff they have in Florida) brass, nickel and copper piping/fixtures are perfectly safe.

I was just about to refer you this thread, then I realized you were already there lol: http://www.thatforumsite.com/viewtopic.php?f=581&t=2845

Do you have a lot of parlour aquariums? Would love to see some more pics of your collection if you do!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jules; 11-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: I don't need a reason
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
peter_w
Algae Grower

What a great looking tank, i like antique tanks.
peter_w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow Jules those are great images! IMO by the beauty of these tanks and the awesome fountains, they really had it goin' on back in the day!!! What a beautiful thing to see in person a tank like this must be. I have to get my hands on one of these! The foutains just make it for me! I'm in-love!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
sayurasem
SCAPEr

I didn't even realize aquarium keeping can be dated that long ago.

Makes me want to hunt antique tanks!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #26
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I didn't even realize aquarium keeping can be dated that long ago.

Makes me want to hunt antique tanks!
I didn't either! Amazing!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

How interesting!! Definitely designed to be bare bottom with the under lighting... Just to cool!

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #28
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fantastic find, making me pretty jealous. Been searching for one for ages!

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrx View Post
I will either rewire the original light sockets and switch or replace them. I
You probably already know this, but for others, you can purchase brand new vintage looking electrical cord and plugs.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #30
Shangrila
Planted Member

I personally would not modify or adulterate anything on this tank. You could rewire the lamps using peroid correct wire and sockets, but as far as anything else I would leave it bone-stock original. Think about it if someone wants 4500.00 to restore it has to be worth way more than that. Once you start expoxying over this and removing that the value(and coolness factor) will drop drastically.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.