125 Gallon I believe Low Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
eodmike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

125 Gallon I believe Low Tech

Ok. So I did Reef Tanks for a while. Then I had a beautiful Rainbow tank but as far as plants in it went well I could grow algea. I have some 10 gallon and a 30 gallon that do well with some plants but that wasn't my focus with them. Now its on to this tank.

This is a 125 gallon AGA with dual overflow. I put the overflow pipes up as high as I can to create little to no drop until of course it drops to the sump. The sump has poret foam some glass bio tubes and some frogbit. The sump also has a little bit of light to help the frogbit do its thing. Then I have 2 60" 140watt VHO bulbs over the main tank. They were both installed today. They are both Aquasuns. Before that I had 5 very old VHO bulbs of different spectrums. I think this was too much light and probably the old bulbs were also helping the algea win.

The gravel is flourite red and a few other products mixed in but I would say about 90% flourite red. It is about a year old recently was rinsed to some degree.

I plan on this being a species tank. It is meant to be for Blue Rams.

So suggestions? I'd love this tank to look great and not be a hot bed for algea.

To be honest I'm not sure of all the plants in here. Maybe you guys could help me with some of there names. They have been in my shrimp tanks and I have forgotten some of them.

I kow I have:
Frogbit
Amazon Frogbit
Star Grass
Giant Hair Grass (new to me bought for this tank turned brown at the top though?)
Sunset Hydgro (Ive had this for a very long time. I don't flush it, sell it, trade it, or buy it)
Water Sprite
Rotala Indica (or so I believe)
Anubias
Dwarf Chain Sword
Marimo Ball
one of the logs have java moss that was out of water for about 24 hours I think it is probably dead but waiting to see.
And 1 plant I don't know what to call it.

eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
eodmike
Algae Grower

Any tips, suggestions, comments, or advice?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
ecotanker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

I would get more plants.
ecotanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
MikeS
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Background on the tank itself. And agree with more plants, especially background ones behind the driftwood. Hard to see the wood due to the overflows.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I would add plants like some anubias or mosses because there very easy plants and don't require a lot light. I see that you said you have java moss. To me I don't think you can kill a moss the reason I say that is I've had some moss pulled out of one of my tanks for a few weeks or longer and it's only dry but still looks health.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
eodmike
Algae Grower

Ok I have Christmas and Java that I could add in here. I also have Riccia but with the overflow it is probably a bad idea.

I was hoping the star grass would get tall enough to be a background is that not the case? I'll get more plants in there ASAP. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
eodmike
Algae Grower

BTW is 280 watts of VHO over this tank low, mid, or high light?