Tropiquarium in Ocean
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
OhNo123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

Tropiquarium in Ocean

This store isn't new; it's actually been opened for as long as I can remember.

I've been there a few times and service is quick. Fish selection also varies and usually a hit or miss. Sometimes they may have rare fish like electric blue rams or CPOs.

Actually right now they have a Buy 1 fish get the 2nd Half off. This is a steal depending on the type of fish. You can buy a school of 12 neons for about $16 there.

I bought 6 hasbrosus cories for $9. Original is $2 each.

I don't know how long this sale lasts for so you better hurry up if you want to get some fish.
Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.
Finnex Schuber Wright 9g Journal

OhNo123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
OhNo123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Went back there today. The sale is still going on, but a lot of the tanks were empty. Some fish that caught my eye were Electric blue rams, balloon rams, kribensis, Bolivian rams, galaxy rasboras, CPOs, and lots of albino bristlenose. I was hoping to pick up an oto or two, but they didn't have any in stock. Prices are pretty good now considering the 2nd fish is 1/2 off.

Plant selection is still pretty decent, but the glass on the plant holding tanks are a little hazy and unclear due to algae. Some plants also have this black fuzzy algae on them.

I did buy a huge moss ball for only $10.69. It's larger than a softball, maybe around the size of a small cantaloupe. It's also real because I asked the employee if I could hold it and it was hollow inside.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Wait. So is this store in Ocean City?
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Caleb19
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

No, it's in Ocean Twp. Kind of on the border of Asbury Park and Ocean Twp in fact. Right off of Rt. 35 in a shopping center.
Caleb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
dchangusc

PTrader: (0/0%)

been there couple of times and it's pretty good!!
location and hours
http://www.tropiquarium.com/contactus.asp
dchangusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
eaf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is indeed a great store in the area. And recently I was surprised to find new Discuses there as well. They didn't sell them for years, I think after the change in ownership. 10 years ago they even had them in their huge show tank.

One really frustrating part about Tropiquarium is that their tanks are plagued with BBA. Yeah, they have a good selection of plants, but this BBA just makes me feel uncomfortable buying from them.
eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
gonzo.njexit9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

was there today for the first time.
not bad but certainly not great
been away from the hobby for 15 years now and used to work at REEF ENCOUNTER in Edgewater.
FISH SALE still going on. buy 1 get 2nd half price
starting a 50 gallon planted--well trying
gonzo.njexit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
jerzy83

Default trop

i work around the corner from trop and have been going there for many years and liked it (but didnt like the prices) but in the past 6 months they had that sale going on and if you tell them you would like to be added for there computer and get weekly emails out of every $100 you spend youll get $5 and special deals bogo etc.. but in the past 5 months maybe a little longer all of there south american cichlids have been so sick its not even funny. gary the owner realy knows his stuff but it realy seams like hes just giving up very sad and i was there thursday and everything (freshwater) was sick with dead fish in the tanks if you dont mind medicateing in a hospital tank for a few weeks go for it but i wont bet wish there anymore but they do have good deals on fishtanks they sell them at there cost if your in the area theres a fish store in point plesant on rt88 called sharkys the fish store isnt that big but has alot of diff. kinds of fish that you realy dont see around and very good prices also a few plant tanks and hes selling shrimp if thats your thing
jerzy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
gonzo.njexit9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

READ MY LAST POST
2 NJ LFS VERY FUNNY COMMENT

also keep in mind that most of new jersey was without power because of hurricane irene
petco and petsmart fish departments by me are closed because all tanks have ick
i am sure most of the fish stores are hurting right now with ick problems
gonzo.njexit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
OhNo123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wandered into Petsmart on Black Friday and picked up a Fluval Spec V... been away from the hobby for about 2 years but about to get back in. I use to go to tropiquarium frequently 2 years ago until the quality of the livestock started to decline with each visit. Has anyone gone there recently? I read that they've been stocking more shrimp but that's all I've read really. Also they have some new DAS aquarium thing that's supposedly exclusive to them. I'll probably go check them out next week or something.

They currently have a xmas deal:
http://tropiquarium.net/wp-content/u...masCoupons.jpg

33% is pretty good, better than their usual buy 1 get 1 50% off.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
arbai89
Algae Grower

i go here maybe every 3 weeks?

for the most part, i didn't think their stock was bad at all. they only tank that i found upsetting were the clown loach section. it was like ick and another symptoms.

I bought 5 fish from them last week and i believe all of them are alive (i still need to find one of them these loaches hides)
arbai89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well I know the last post about this place is 2 years old, but I figured better to resurrect the thread than start a new one.

I accidentally discovered this place today when I was down that way for work. I went in and the fish looked pretty good for the most part and the tanks were clean. Good selection of plants as well.

Has anyone bought fish here recently? How did they do? I would love to hear anything about this place. We have been looking for a good LFS for the past 4 years, I would love to find out if this could be our go to place. It's not super close, but closer than anything else I have found. Well except for Animals and Things. They have an ok selection, but not always the cleanest looking tanks. They have the best selection of tank supplies near me, but I haven't been thrilled with the livestock.

Anyway, we live in Metuchen, if anyone has a good LFS idea (or if Tropiquarium is good) I would love to hear about it!

edit: What about Aquaridise in East Brunswick? They say on their website they have a unique selection of freshwater fish, but does that mean it's a small collection? And how are the fish, and tanks? Healthy? Clean?

Thanks in advance!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank

Last edited by Karackle; 02-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: added a location
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Aquaridise in East Brunswick is a nice small place. I would rather spend a couple dollars there then at the big box pet stores. However does not compare to Tropiquarium in size, stock and variety for salt and fresh water. Do not go to Trop. on the weekends. A zoo. If you can go during the day they have time to really help you.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks for the info Ken!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #15
OhNo123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Well I know the last post about this place is 2 years old, but I figured better to resurrect the thread than start a new one.

I accidentally discovered this place today when I was down that way for work. I went in and the fish looked pretty good for the most part and the tanks were clean. Good selection of plants as well.

Has anyone bought fish here recently? How did they do? I would love to hear anything about this place. We have been looking for a good LFS for the past 4 years, I would love to find out if this could be our go to place. It's not super close, but closer than anything else I have found. Well except for Animals and Things. They have an ok selection, but not always the cleanest looking tanks. They have the best selection of tank supplies near me, but I haven't been thrilled with the livestock.

Anyway, we live in Metuchen, if anyone has a good LFS idea (or if Tropiquarium is good) I would love to hear about it!

edit: What about Aquaridise in East Brunswick? They say on their website they have a unique selection of freshwater fish, but does that mean it's a small collection? And how are the fish, and tanks? Healthy? Clean?

Thanks in advance!
I use to go to Tropiquarium all the time when I lived closer to it, but now I'm an hour away and there's not much to do down by there except go to this store haha. I bought many things over my fish-keeping career from there and I've been always satisfied. I haven't been back there in half a year, but last time I went, I got a piece of driftwood, two pots of plants and some pygmy cories. The plants did well and none of the cories died. The workers there are really nice as well and because they're not a a giant corporation, they're more lenient about a lot of things. If you're looking for a certain plant and don't need much of it, you can just look for a half-filled pot or a dying pot and ask them to give you a discount on that. Sometimes they have driftwood with anubias attached but the anubias becomes detached for whatever reason. Usually they'll just give it to you if you ask. Also, you can to pick which specific fish you want as well. I know most other stores do this, but some places don't depending on the employee working