40 Gal Breeder (finally High-tech), My 'Colectoritis' tank..Updated: 08/28/2013 - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #76
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassynation View Post
Looks great, one thing I would do is cut your intake tube to get rid of the loop. It restricts flow and will burn out the motor faster.
What do you mean?...i dont think i have a loop in my tube that I know of, the only place it bends for the most part is where the outflow goes into my tank..or do you mean where my intake dips below the top of my filter? If so I might do that soon since i have a backup tube now, but i left them at length because I am planning on transfering my hardware to my 75 gal soon when I set it up...sometime soon, ha...

And thanks so much!
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #77
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

The intake tube is fighting gravity, making the filter work harder, although not much. if you have extra tube might as well replace that ribbed tubing. It's the next thing on my filter list too.
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #78
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Yes, Will do here soon..thanks so much!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #79
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

beautiful tank
we have like 80% of the same plants and same set up
too funny!
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #80
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
beautiful tank
we have like 80% of the same plants and same set up
too funny!
Thanks so much! ha nice, ya just the plants that seem to be growing for me right now, but I really want to take a few sp. out because it is just getting way to crowded..
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #81
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Default Changing it up, a little..

So I decided to move a few thing around because some of them just weren't growing like I wanted them to, so time to switch it out..I really didn't do too much but it took me a while..I moved some of my crypts, hydrocotyle, and a couple others so I could clean up some and open up the floor of the tank. I am just waiting for the left side to fill in some more. I was unable to really grow Ammania gracilis that well, it grew but just never looked that great so I moved it until I get rid of it (unless it likes the new location more).
Thanks to Hoppi I added a few new sp., Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' and Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'. Both of these seem to be growing for me, Cuba I have no problem with it grows great and is starting to color up. I have only had one stem of Pantanal stunt on me but it recovered when I discovered that my lean NO3 dosing had lead to some plants not looking so great. I might have got some more plants but I can't remember right now..I sold a bunch of stuff and hacked this one up pretty good because it seemed like a jungle.

Anyways here's a few pix..

Full tank shot as of 5.1.2012

Left side

Right side, The Hygro araguaia is starting to fill in a little(bottom right)!

Erio's are growing less than desired though I was able to split E. Aussie I:

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal with great color and polygonum kawagoeanum (the color is so much more pink than this picture shows!)

Also, here is my Green Oto looking great and he is HUGE and FAT

So, does anyone have any suggestions for my spot algae?? I have increased my PO4 and some of it went away and was eaten, but I still can't kick this stuff...Thanks!

Also starting to really get into the setup of the 75gal tank finally!! Started to build the stand since the one I have for it doesn't look great and was going to need re-enforcement anyway, so I figured why not just build a stand that is custom for my needs. Now on to re-enforcing my floor joist to make sure this will be stable. It just sucks when I only get one day a week to do anything on this, and sometimes don't have time all together. I cannot wait to break this 40 gal down, and plant again (well kinda as it is going to take forever, ha)! This 40 gal tank will turn into my fish tank for larger fish that have been cooped up in a smaller tank since my last 33Gal long tank caught on fire (because of a certain filter..ugh). It will house my 5yr old African Leaf fish in a lightly planted tank.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #82
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Time for a little update. My tank has pretty much stayed the same just grown and gone through a few different plants since last post, but I am getting rid of some of my sp. so I can have bigger bushes of stems. Got rid of the dwarf sag for the most part and replaced it with glosso which has taken over. I had to trim it down because it keeps growing up instead of staying low like I want due to the fact I need more light down low, but that is another task all together. I also added some rummynose's so I can have another school in there, but I am down to 9. Also found a nice black sailfin molly and bushynose pleco and added them for a bit of algae control. I will say one thing I have noticed in multiple tanks is molly/sailfins/etc.. do not like CO2 very much and have a much lower tolerance than most other fish. I am thinking about getting some LED's to attach to my current fixture to help give me just a boost of light, but we will see how that goes. But either way here's what we have.

Full Tank shot:

Sides: My crypts are bushing out very nicely finally.

I need more flow from my filter or a more direct way to get CO2 over to this side of the tank it seems, stuff just grows a little slower over here, but oh well. I might abandon my spray bar and return to a nozzle.

And here's the pleco I picked up at my work, though I am still looking for more rarer species.

So that's it from me for now.

Last edited by sketch804; 11-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: adding subtracting, somthing like that
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #83
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can you show us any pics of your plant-growing setup next to the tank?
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #84
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
So does anyone have any idea on what this mystery stem might be?? It is the one in the middle of the pic with the needle type leaves.

I believe that it is HYDROTRICHE HOTTONIIFLORA but not 100% sure..I bought it as unknown stem.
My friend just bought something that looks like this yesterday from Petsmart. It was called Frill Plant.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #85
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
Can you show us any pics of your plant-growing setup next to the tank?
Well I cannot produce those pix. I didn't set up my plants beside my tank this year as my living room changed and I didn't have room for my tropical's and others. But I do like having plants spread through out the house normally. I have a separate plant growing setup in another room with emersed stems, HC, Java, crypts and others. That setup I am actually going to shut down soon and just keep the 10 gal emersed grow-out tank with dirt. I just haven't the time for most of this now, plus I do aquarium stuff as a job now so too much of anything is a bad thing whether it be good or not to start with. I still have 3 other tanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattymo92 View Post
My friend just bought something that looks like this yesterday from Petsmart. It was called Frill Plant.
Ah, now I actually have that plant as well, not one in the same unfortunately. The stem of the 'frill' plant is very flimsy and the leaves are multi-branced, as the plant in question's stem is erect and each leaf comes from the stem rather than from another leaf connected to the stem. I could just push the stem in the ground by itself with out actually planting it. Now since then I have found out the stem's ID is Hydrotriche Hottoniiflora. I appreciate though, I no longer have that plant but do still keep 'Frill'.

Crap I didn't realize it had been so long since I updated my journal so in good time I will take some more pix.

Last edited by sketch804; 02-11-2013 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: wrong info
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #86
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Just some random pictures! been way too long since I have updated, I will say more later, but pix say 1000 words! everything has grown in so much!

My tank as of today!

My creeping ludwigia that is starting to take my ground cover over!

Time has flown by but not too much has changed.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #87
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
Time has flown by but not too much has changed.
Indeed but the tank us looking great, still one if my favorite.

Some if the plants you sent me are overtaking my tank. I can feel your revenge now lol. Some others got homesick and, I suspect, escaped back to you.

I am looking forward to your updates, and our more frequent interactions which I sorely miss on TPT.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #88
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very nice
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #89
Black Hills Tj
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks great. I like the scape...lots of depth!
Black Hills Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #90
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Tj View Post
Looks great. I like the scape...lots of depth!
Thanks so much guys! Depth/layers is one of my main things I go for since my tank is only but so wide and I just never seem to have enough room for all of these plants, curse I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Indeed but the tank us looking great, still one if my favorite.

Some if the plants you sent me are overtaking my tank. I can feel your revenge now lol. Some others got homesick and, I suspect, escaped back to you.

I am looking forward to your updates, and our more frequent interactions which I sorely miss on TPT.
HAHA good, I am glad that some of those plants are doing great in your tank as I knew they would! What ones gave ya problems? From the looks of your tanks I cannot imagine why they didn't make it. Ya I miss old Tpt, but you get what you can I guess..Thanks so much OVT as always! So when r you going to start up that journal eh?? ha..