My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #211
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I kept a few yoyos for a while back when I had a pond snail population explosion. I couldn't tell that they made a dent in the population much but I didn't notice any fin nipping. I have found that assassin snails work extremely well for controlling the snail population but I can't seem to keep many alive for very long with the levels of CO2 I run now It takes quite a few assassins though to effectively control the pest population. I used 12 in my 30 gallon.
Assassins are really pretty. I read that others had horrible experiences with them exploding in numbers too. And then once all the food source (other snails) were gone, the Assassins die and when all is said and done, the substrate is littered with snail shells.

I guess the best option for me is to just continue collecting them by hand. Oh well. At least they aren't gross.

I would try the Yoy loach for its beauty, but man I would hate to try and catch them in my jungle of a tank if they did start nipping. I would say that was one positive of the old scape (nearly empty). I could experiement with fish and easily net them if they became a problem. Those days are long gone. No regrets! I love my plants!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #212
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Assissins are really pretty. I read that others had horrible experiences with them exploding in numbers too. And then once all the food source (other snails) were gone, the Assins die and when all is said and done, the substrate is littered with snail shells.

I guess the best option for me is to just continue collecting them by hand. Oh well. At least they aren't gross.

I would try the Yoy loach for its beauty, but man I would hate to try and catch them in my jungle of a tank if they did start nipping. I would say that was one positive of the old scape (nearly empty). I could experiement with fish and easily net them if they became a problem. Those days are long gone. No regrets! I love my plants!!!
I have a friend that has assassins that are breeding. I wouldn't call it exploding in numbers though. Assassins are a non-hermaphroditic snail, so it does require a male and a female to breed, plus I think they take longer to mature. I think they're really pretty too. I just wish I could keep a crew of 5 or 6 of them alive in my high CO2 environment. I have tiny ramshorns (not on purpose). I feed sparingly and squash any that I see on the glass. Sometimes I'll collect them by hand if I have the time. I've managed to keep them under control so far but I would like to get rid of them all together so I didn't have to worry about them at all.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #213
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I have Botia kubotai and Golden Dojos in my snail-control tank. They are hilarious fish to watch and they co-exist peacefully with the rest of the fish. They are very sociable, you need at least 3 B. kubotai. 2 Golden Dojos will do fine. What snails?

B. kubotai hide a lot, while Dojo are all over the tank. I bet the kids will love them. You can get them at PetSmart.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #214
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I have a friend that has assassins that are breeding. I wouldn't call it exploding in numbers though. Assassins are a non-hermaphroditic snail, so it does require a male and a female to breed, plus I think they take longer to mature. I think they're really pretty too. I just wish I could keep a crew of 5 or 6 of them alive in my high CO2 environment. I have tiny ramshorns (not on purpose). I feed sparingly and squash any that I see on the glass. Sometimes I'll collect them by hand if I have the time. I've managed to keep them under control so far but I would like to get rid of them all together so I didn't have to worry about them at all.
Of course the Co2 only affects the snails you want to keep. The ramshorns love cucumber. Peel the skin off and slice length wise. You don't have to wait long and it'll be covered! Then carefully scoop it out. Walla! That many less ramshorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I have Botia kubotai and Golden Dojos in my snail-control tank. They are hilarious fish to watch and they co-exist peacefully with the rest of the fish. They are very sociable, you need at least 3 B. kubotai. 2 Golden Dojos will do fine. What snails?

B. kubotai hide a lot, while Dojo are all over the tank. I bet the kids will love them. You can get them at PetSmart.
Hmmm...going to look them up now. Be back uno momento!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #215
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm back! Love the Botia kubotai. Too bad they are illuanksive. I had looked into the dojo loach awhile back and read other folks had no luck with them eating snails. You must? My eldest daughter loves these loaches and she would be quite happy to see some in the tank. Thanks OVT! You always know just what to suggest somehow!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #216
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Of course the Co2 only affects the snails you want to keep. The ramshorns love cucumber. Peel the skin off and slice length wise. You don't have to wait long and it'll be covered! Then carefully scoop it out. Walla! That many less ramshorns
I'll have to try that. Do you use anything to make the cucumber sink or does it sink on it's own?
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #217
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I leave my skins on the cucumber my nerites love it. I sharpened a small branch of my manzanita and stick it on there
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #218
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll have to try that. Do you use anything to make the cucumber sink or does it sink on it's own?
I just put it in and the nerites climb the sides to get to it, then once there are a ton, it sinks to the bottom. I thought about putting a stone on one end, but just don't ever feel like sticking my arm all the way to the pit in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I leave my skins on the cucumber my nerites love it. I sharpened a small branch of my manzanita and stick it on there
I just always peeled the skin because of the chance of pesticides I missed in the rinsing. Probably a bit ridiculous I guess. Wouldn't be muah otherwise
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #219
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm not worried about the pesticides I boil it first
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #220
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahhhh, okay that works .
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #221
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i wouldn't think that boiling it will neutralize a pesticide. if anything, i would imagine the chemical would leech off in the boiling water which makes you, in essence, boiling them in their own poison. boiling only kills living organisms
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #222
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
i wouldn't think that boiling it will neutralize a pesticide. if anything, i would imagine the chemical would leech off in the boiling water which makes you, in essence, boiling them in their own poison. boiling only kills living organisms
Hm. that's a point too. I prefer to just peel them
Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #223
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

love what you've done to this tank, great wood!

did someone mention dobies?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #224
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you Meggan Do you have a dobie too????
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #225
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got some more pics...still not the best quality, but until I get a camera (or learn to take better pics with my phone) this is all I have to offer

A little 1-gallon bowl betta in a much better world

4' of tank and they're clustered in a corner

Off into the deep dark woods

I love "My-Blue"

Look! It's a snail

And the Angel returns from the dark forest! (I love that they can vanish )

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate