New fish! - Tanganyika Shoreline 50G Riparium - Page 46
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #676
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

The Lasia spinosa spathe has officially opened. It smells just like overripe bananas. I am slicing it off the plant right now so I can get some more careful studio photos of it.

More soon!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #677
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a quick sketch post-processed image. The white balance of the images out of the camera was a little screwed up, so I might try again tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #678
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Neat plant I like the contrast of colors.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #679
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
Neat plant I like the contrast of colors.
Thanks!

Click this link to see the largest file that I formatted for web.

http://ripariumsupply.com/wp-content...spathe-I-b.jpg
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #680
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Look at the sharp mean spines on this sucker. I pulled it out today to cut up the rhizome, but I think I want to try to get a few more pictures of it. So I just put it back in the tank again.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #681
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

That thing is huge!!!

It's been a while since I've been on-line so a belated congratulations on another article publish!!!
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #682
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
That thing is huge!!!

It's been a while since I've been on-line so a belated congratulations on another article publish!!!
Yeah it really went nuts. For six months or so it grew leaves only 18" or so tall, but then as it built up more energy they got taller and taller. I had it outside in a container pond for a while, but then it got cold and I had to put it back in the tank. I want to get just a few more pictures and then I'm going to cut up that rhizome to start new plants.

Thanks! I have a new one that I'm just finishing up and I have a start on another. I have a new goal to get a new article published at least every two months.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #683
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I am re-doing the fish in this tank to make a loose Lake Tanganyika representation. I already have the group of Synodontis lucipinninis, and now I plant to add one or two different cichlids.

Cyprichromis spp. seem like good possibilities. These cichlids have wonderful bright colors and swim around in the mid-water area like rainbowfish. I think they would create a nice effect in this tank. This is a Wikimedia Commons image (http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/File:...tumba-4506.jpg) of C. leptosoma...

There are several different named locality varieties for this species.

I hope that I can track down some Cyprichromis and maybe one other species.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #684
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I have zero experience with Tanganyika cichlids, but I am having fun with my initial research.

I am going to watch out for Neolamprologus too. They are pretty common in the hobby, but so attractive. They remind me of Anthias.

(Wikimedia Commons image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ne..._brichardi.jpg)

I want to give more thought to the riparium planting as well. I might just use some of the fast and easy plants that I have here (Ruellia, Asclepias, Cyperus etc.) but it could also be fun to research some mor and try to use more or less representative plants. I have looked around on the interwebs and most of the pictures that I see of Lake Tanganyika show a very rocky shoreline that looks like the ocean. But there must be some more quiet bays with marginal/emergent/riaprian vegetation. Has anybody here ever been there? I should look around scholarly articles some more to see if I can find aquatic plant lists. If I can find information on Lake Malawi or Lake Victoria that will be helpful because the flora is probably similar.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #685
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

I've been following this over on the Dendroboard, Devin. Whereas I can say with certainty that I've NEVER been there, there are streams that feed into the Rift Valley lakes that do have emmergent/marginal plants....it's almost reminds me of a estuary of sorts. Not in the same way where you would have mangrove swamps, and so forth, but there is a "zone" between "lake" and "stream"..... http://www.africaimagelibrary.com/me...-to-lake-tanga

See if that helps give you a better idea. These cichlids are algae grazers, so I'm certain what they would do to plant roots....I would assume that they would leave them alone and the plants would be fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #686
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for that link Don. I wonder what kinds of cichlids might be up in those shallow water areas(?).

I found an article as a downloadable pdf that describes riparian vegetation in Tanzania. It's the top result right here...

Cosmos Mligo. Wami River Subbasin, Tanzania Riparian Vegetation Component of EFA Study. Wami River Environmental Flows Initiative website at http//wami.fiu.edu

The plants that I found browsing that article are mainly trees and huge grasses. I looked around quick and found some of those trees cheap on [Ebay Link Removed] That could be a fun project to try to get some African water-associated Acacia and other tree seeds.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #687
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I took the rounded river stones out of this tank and I'm cleaning them up to use my 56G Borneo setup. I intend to replace them with some angular pieces of limestone from our yard that will better represent the Lake Tanganyika environment. It's too bad that I didn't make that happen before the blizzard came and dumped 15" of snow and ice on everything: now I'll just have to wait for a thaw.

In the meantime I'm going to keep working on the riparium planting. I've thought about it quite a bit and I think I'm going to do something similar to this planting that I had in here a long time ago with a few tall Cyperus plants as the background and Bacopa monnieri with other emersed stems growing as a floating carpet of foliage. I think this will work well. I plant to use the Cyperus as well as some Ruellia and another flowering plant.

Here's another view of that old planting.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #688
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a shot from the other night. I removed the large river cobbles in there and will replace them with angular slabs of limestone more similar to the rocky shorelines that I have seen in pictures of Lake Tanganyika. I'll also have to remove the little group of the livebearers and the Central America cichlids that are currently in there with the catfish. The riparium plants will look better when I can include some riparium trellis rafts with rooted stems to help cover up the planters and make a more natural scene.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #689
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Are you going to switch to a sand-based substrate or stick to gravel? Also, are you worried about the fish eating the plants/roots? Mbuna can be pretty hungry fish.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #690
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I wasn't planning on adding mbuna. I intend to keep the gravel substrate and select fish that will be alright with it and everything else. I'm going to add just two or three more species of small cichlids.