Filter idea for shrimp tank - high capacity, low flow.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Filter idea for shrimp tank - high capacity, low flow.

Been tossing this idea around ever since I saw the Finnex "black friday" web deals.

Have always been told that shrimp tanks would do best with low flow filters and air powered sponges filters are great for shrimp tanks (high surface area and gentle flow). I don't really like the loss of tank space or the bubbles all the time (or the air pump noise).

I've been using an Aquaclear 30 with the flow all the way down, small sponge prefitler, purigien inside and a coarse piece of sponge over the outlet to break it up a little. It occurred to me that the pump on this thing could easily push water through a box twice as big (bigger box = more water = more filter media = better in my eyes, plus it would increase the total volume on my nano)

Then I saw the refugium on the finnex web site (and similar breeder boxes since then). A one gallon HOB box with a low flow pump (it was like 40 or 50 gph I think) and small return slot at the opposite end. Flip the first and last baffle over to make the water flow through the bottom of them (similar to the baffle setup on a sump), put sponge or floss in the first chamber, purigen/carbon in the second, ceramic media in the last one.

end result - large water capacity but gentle movement filterbox (which is what I hear is so great about a mattenfilter, right?)

Totally off base, or what?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is what I do. Works great, and not really that visible if you cover the front of the utensil holder with some moss.

You can control the flow by moving the hanger to allow some flow directly into the tank.

randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Nice Idea.You can use Marina one for $10 too.it is 1/2gal.Finnex is 3/4gal the most.
plamski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I used the Marina for my s/w tank for some small macros and shrimp. I use it with the hydor pico pump instead of an air pump for constant and quiet flow. You'll need some tubing that fits on the pump and the marina inlet tube. The pump itself is iffy, I bought 2 and 1 didn't work out of the box.

My caution with this is that the water goes all the to the top and if you have any blockage of the return you're going to have a wet floor.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Darth Toro
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
This is what I do. Works great, and not really that visible if you cover the front of the utensil holder with some moss.

You can control the flow by moving the hanger to allow some flow directly into the tank.

Randyl what exactly is that your using? It looks like a great idea. I was trying to find ways to reduce the flow of my aqua clear 70 that I have on a 20 gallon long with rilli shrimp inside
Darth Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Toro View Post
Randyl what exactly is that your using? It looks like a great idea. I was trying to find ways to reduce the flow of my aqua clear 70 that I have on a 20 gallon long with rilli shrimp inside
They sell them at the dollar store as "shower cups" to hold razors, etc in the shower. They have slots to let water run out in the shower and not stay full of water. Randy has his full of bio media. I just put plastic pot scrubbers in mine to act as additional biomedia. Some riccia made its way into mine, so now it's a biomedia/riccia grow box. Reduces flow great and doubles the capacity of you filter bio media. Also a place shrimp will hide. lol. I've found shrimp in mine, crawling around eating off the plastic pot scrubbers.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

That's a good looking idea. Maybe attach moss to it to make it looks more natural?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Sooooo, question: I was going to leave my canister filter on my new BKK tank. The shrimp in my other tank don't seem to mind the flow from the Ehiem, and the SunSun has the bar pointed backwards to reduce flow. Is this a bad idea? Should I pull it and just put some of the cycled media into a hob?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
randyl
Wannabe Guru

I didn't like too much flow so I came up with that idea which also increases the filtration capacity. Flow in shrimp tanks is a personal preference. I make sure moving water everywhere but to a minimum. That AC 150 + DIY thing helps me achieve all the goals I had. I have shrimp tanks with canister filter and the result isn't better than tanks with this setup. BTW, mine also caught some riccia and it grew pretty nice. I put a few piece of peacock moss on the front side (between the front and the filter floss), and they grow very nicely too.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I was honestly thinking about doing 4 large sponge filters as I've seen some of the more advanced shrimpers doing. Just trying to work out a plan. I think I have a spare HOB laying around...maybe I'll do that. Don't want to blow them away!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

The way that I test flow in my tanks is using a TDS meter. Test your TDS in both ends and middle of your tank. Should be +/- a few ppm. Then do a water change, usually with a lower TDS water, so see how long it takes for that water to spread out in the tank. If after a hour or two, the left side is 180 and the right side is 150, there isn't proper flow. If after 15 mins it's 175 across the tank, you're good.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I used the Marina for my s/w tank for some small macros and shrimp. I use it with the hydor pico pump instead of an air pump for constant and quiet flow. You'll need some tubing that fits on the pump and the marina inlet tube. The pump itself is iffy, I bought 2 and 1 didn't work out of the box.

My caution with this is that the water goes all the to the top and if you have any blockage of the return you're going to have a wet floor.
Is this the breeder box you mean, mach?

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/mar...box-large.html

I used a Hagen Elite filter on mine and it worked great. The uptube on the Marina fit in the output of the Elite nice and snug, no muss or fuss.

Truth about the blockage!! But that setup worked like a champ for my cory fry.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Is this the breeder box you mean, mach?

Truth about the blockage!! But that setup worked like a champ for my cory fry.
Yes, that's the same one. I got it from Ken's too when Amazon was sold out.

What is that Hagen Elite model exactly? Is that a filter or a pump only? Been trying to find something else to use.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sorry - I should have been more specific. It's this unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Un.../dp/B0009YD7D4

They used to sell them at Petco but I think that's no longer true (it's where I bought mine). It has a flow control lever on it, too. Overall I can't think of anything negative about this super little filter. Plenty of umph, flow control (I had it turned all the way down in the breeder box otherwise the cories were tossed all over the place). It really is a great little filter for $8!

I recommend it for that breeder box. It's almost as if they were designed for each other. The output on the filter fit perfectly snug, with no additional need for support.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i like the elite mini filter just on its own for flow in a tank. i have one going right now in a 1.3 gallon tank but i take the out flow and flip it upside down so it points the current up and out instead of kinda down and out. shrimp dont seem to mind at all and the flow on it is adjustable. i used to use the same filter to move diy co2 across a 10 gal tank by hanging it on one end as well. ill get a pic and show what im talking about if you would like
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote