Bubble counter keeps draining
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
jefferzbooboo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Bubble counter keeps draining

I have a 10g high tech set up with a Green Leaf Aquariums Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator with Atomic CO2 Bubble Counter - with Integrated Check Valve. Every time I fill the counter it drains back into the tank, I even tried adding another check valve between the tank and bubble counter, also between the diffuser and check valve but it still drains down. I'm positive I have the bubble counter the right direction.
Anyone have any ideas why it would be doing this?
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
TheKribKeeper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you sure it is not evaporating and going into the aquarium as humid co2? This is what mine does I have to refill it every 1.5 weeks or so. I know it is not leaking down to the regulator or needle valve because I checked that. So the only place to go is the aquarium. You can fill it with vegetable oil or glycerin I think I may be wrong about the glycerin, but you run the risk of these going into the aquarium so I just deal with the water.
TheKribKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Does the water leak away immediately? Over the course of a few weeks?

It may be evaporation, or it might actually be leaking backwards (into your needle valve and solenoid, which would be bad...)

If it is not leaking backwards, then it might be evaporation; you can eliminate this by using mineral oil or glycerin. I have never heard anyone using vegetable oil though

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

" mineral oil"

I fill my BC ounce and it's been a couple of years now. I have check valves before and after the BC.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
jefferzbooboo
Algae Grower

I have mineral oil in it and it grains away in about 3 days. I think my diffuser may be plugged, could this be causing it?
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

This is not too uncommon, especially with the atomizer set-ups that require higher pressure. If you have clear co2 tubing you should see some water bubbles slowly moving towards the tank. I have the same 'issue' with all my tanks with atomizers at 40 psi and none with in-tank diffusers at 20-25 psi.

My understanding is that the co2 pressure causes some of the water in the bubble counter to be 'pushed out'.

If you have a decent bubble counter, it should have integrated check valve, with no water being pushed back into the needle valve (at least I hope so ).