Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 60
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #886
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
#125 does sound a lot better, doesn't it? I remember why I thought #127, because #126 was a really cool layout in a much larger aquarium by a Japanese shop owner, and I was surprised to score higher.

The whole trip was pretty amazing - I learned how the Sumida guys take care of the world's largest planted aquarium, amazing what you can learn speaking some Japanese! Those guys are the real heros behind that aquarium - and you'll never hear about them outside of that video.

For yellow - up your potassium and iron, remember that the planted aquarium isn't a static beast. Meaning that just because, say, one pump of Brighty K on day 1 is enough, it doesn't mean it's enough on day 30. So you're slowly adjusting over time to compensate.

Of course, maintaining good trimming technique to keep it trimmed shorter helps quite a lot, as the lower portion will die from lack of light if it grows over itself too much.
that is amazing!
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #887
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ditto. That video was intense. So much work and dedicatin for those tanks.

Congrats Frank on your masterpiece nano tank.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #888
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

[QUOTE=Francis Xavier;2067951]

TBS - thank you very much my friend! When will you enter?

[QUOTE]

Haha, as soon as I can catch up nah, I'll likely enter this coming year as soon as I get the 120P in presentable shape again. We'll see how she fares. I hope you can get more folks stateside to enter! Let's represent, people!

And again, really remarkable work, Frank. That final shot is quite beautiful. It's one of those works you can go back to over and over and just immerse yourself in for a while. I have yet to hit that with my aquariums, but all things in their own time. It appears I have a lot to learn about wabi sabi, myself
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #889
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Ditto. That video was intense. So much work and dedicatin for those tanks.

Congrats Frank on your masterpiece nano tank.
Thank you for the cool props!

[QUOTE=theblondskeleton;2069103][QUOTE=Francis Xavier;2067951]

TBS - thank you very much my friend! When will you enter?

Quote:

Haha, as soon as I can catch up nah, I'll likely enter this coming year as soon as I get the 120P in presentable shape again. We'll see how she fares. I hope you can get more folks stateside to enter! Let's represent, people!

And again, really remarkable work, Frank. That final shot is quite beautiful. It's one of those works you can go back to over and over and just immerse yourself in for a while. I have yet to hit that with my aquariums, but all things in their own time. It appears I have a lot to learn about wabi sabi, myself
That's probably one of the coolest compliments I've ever received - that means a lot, thanks!

As one of the contest judges described wabi sabi:

"I have a feeling of wabi sabi, *deep breath* when I am sitting on a summer day sipping tea while looking over the scenery of the land while a cool breeze crosses my face."
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #890
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

What is Wabi Sabi?

Wabi Sabi, a mysterious Japanese sense of aesthetics, which has most often been described as admiration for the imperfect - an admiration for something as simple as a patch of weeds growing alongside a rock, is easily misunderstood.

It is not quite so simple as merely saying that in your design you have achieved wabi sabi by letting things "grow wild," as there is a controlled chaos to it, a measured imperfection and an emotion.

To describe it, and for you to understand it, you must put yourself in an emotional state that inspires a deep, inner feeling.

Wabi Sabi is...like re-igniting that feeling of love you felt for someone for the first time, heart racing and blood rushing to your head. That feeling of anticipation, waiting for the next time you meet or talk to that person. At the same time, it's that feeling of heart-break that spurns from that same love. While also being the desire to do it all over again.

To feel Wabi Sabi is to feel that entanglement of emotion and to express it and inspire it in other people - in this case, with aquatic plants.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #891
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

well put! it sheds more light on it then other things ive read trying to describe wabi sabi. of photos ive seen, i know what they make me feel. the way you phrased it describes what that to a T!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #892
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Some eye candy - my latest layout in the Mini M at the ADG gallery.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #893
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Very nice. I love how the simple sand, rocks and a central plant mass layouts look. Has a very nice feeling of wasabi...err...wabi-sabi.

I see you've got some of the grout stuff in the silicone corners as well...any clues as to how to get at it or get it off? It seems like it's bonded with the silicone somehow and just refuses to come off. I've had diatoms grow on it but they come right off and that stuff remains.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #894
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Is that a wabi kusa submerged?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #895
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

love the simplicity of it!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #896
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

museum quality

I love the clear everything, light stand, tubes, so clean
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #897
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Where all the updates? Don't get lazy on us Frank,

So I been trying to get the whole Wabi Sabi going and there a few different guides on creating the soil ball.

How do you make the ball stay in shape and not dissolve in the water? I been trying potting mix wrap with taiwan moss and normal ground moss, not going too well.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #898
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Where all the updates? Don't get lazy on us Frank,

So I been trying to get the whole Wabi Sabi going and there a few different guides on creating the soil ball.

How do you make the ball stay in shape and not dissolve in the water? I been trying potting mix wrap with taiwan moss and normal ground moss, not going too well.
ive been using AAA New Zealand sphagnum moss wrapped around a rock. works well, i dont fertilize but you cuold fertilize the water you mist with or the water in the tank if its submersed. i guess you could add a root tab to the ball as well...
Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #899
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Doesn't the plants have to be rooted within the soil? Do you just cover the rock with the soil and wrap it up with moss?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #900
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Doesn't the plants have to be rooted within the soil? Do you just cover the rock with the soil and wrap it up with moss?
I don't use any soil as all. I just wrap the sphagnum moss tightly around the rock. Secure with fishing line. And then I place the plants on the ball and secure with more fishing line. The roots I have found will go into the sphagnum moss once they get going. And I jut lag the plants on top and secure with fishing line. After they start growing the stems will give shoot from the nodes along the stem and those shoots will grow upwards.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.