Cyber Monday Telephoto Lens (Canon)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cyber Monday Telephoto Lens (Canon)

Just wanted to put this out there if anyone finds this attractive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830998381

Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Found the same lens on Amazon. Great reviews. Overall reviews say it's the next lens anyone should get if their only lense is the kit lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm.../dp/B00004THD0
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Imo I'd spend my money on a 55-250 IS. I've had both this 75-300 and the 70-300 and neither was very good, now I've got the 55-250 and I find it sharper and faster to focus, plus the image stabilization is great for lower light shots.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Anybody find a cyber monday nikon tele lens? I have been eying the 70-300mm nikkor, for $400 refurbished, but I am curious if there are any others...

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

In all honesty, you minus well just save your money and get a Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM if you want a good zoom lens. With any of the lenses listed above, you are stuck shooting at f/5.6 if you are zoomed all the way out. At least with the 70-200, you can shoot at a lower f/stop at all focal lengths. Plus with the 70-200, you get way better glass and it will focus so much faster than any of the other lenses mentioned.

Or if you really want to save up for a little bit, I'd would HIGHLY recommend the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM. It's a fantastic lens and I love it so much, but then again, not everyone is willing to drop that kind of money
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
iadubber
Algae Grower

the 75-300 is junk. The 55-250mm IS is way better in every aspect if you are on a crop body. Otherwise I agree to save up for the 70-200mm F4L if you want a decent zoom.
iadubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Anybody find a cyber monday nikon tele lens? I have been eying the 70-300mm nikkor, for $400 refurbished, but I am curious if there are any others...
Unfortunately no such thing with Nikon. They set and strictly enforce their Unilateral Pricing Policy. That means the price is the price, no discounts at all. They claim one of the reasonings behind this is to make things fair for both internet and local brick-and-mortar stores. Any dealer that sells below the price set by Nikon is banned from ordering/selling Nikon products for something like 3 months for the first violation, 6 months for the second, and permanently for the third violation. That's why everyone plays by Nikon rules, they don't want to lose the ability to sell.

The closest thing you'll get to a discount on a Nikon lens is either buying refurbished or taking advantage of their rebates they often run where you get a slight discount on a lens or lenses when you buy a Nikon camera body.
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.