Possible black algae problem...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Question

Possible black algae problem...

I have a 10 gallon that is heavily planted with flourite dark substrate, do not dose, lights are on and off all day for an hour at a time for a total of 6 hours, and the lights are the 24 inch oddysea's ;total of 72 watts. I am using DIY CO2 with double of the dosage with two bottles. So at first the drop checker reads yellow:high CO2: and then it comes down to green. I just started this 2 weeks ago before I noticed any bad aglae. Could this be the problem? Nothing else has changed. It has been going for 3 months. If I forgot anything please ask me, any help is better than nothing! Also, if nothing else I am having real thin, thinner than hair, strings of algae... Maybe they are connected? Noticed it about a month ago I think.... Thanks again!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

With so much lighting over a 10 gallon aquarium, why are you not dosing any fertilizers? This is a recipe for disaster, as you have already begun to find out.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Is the tank two weeks old or three months old? That's not clear from your post.

If you're using CO2, you also need to dose ferts. Why aren't you doing that?

How far from your substrate is the light fixture? That's probably going to need to be raised or dulled with window screen even with CO2 and ferts.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was dosing all the seachem products that did not contain coppers due to the shrimp, but I was reading and some posts people that keep shrimp say they can tell a difference in the way the shrimp behave when they dose and dont... dosing making them shy and hidden which they said wasnt good. They also mentioned if you were using a rich substrate you should need to dose.... What would you gentlemen/ ladies recommend for dosing/ schedule? The light is sitting right on the top of the tank... so roughly 10 to 11 inches. Thanks!

Also the tank has been running since the end of July. I started dosing and upped the c02, about 2-3 weeks ago...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Flourite is not a nutrient-rich substrate. You have to add fertilizer.

You shouldn't use CO2 unless you're fertilizing. And you definitely need to raise your light fixture until you are familiar with the amount of PAR it's putting out and have a good handle on how much you need to fertilize.

May be a good idea for you to review the lighting stickies and the fert/water params stickies in those respective forums. They will help you out tremendously.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are you dosing liquid NPK?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the help. I had looked at the PAR ones before but I get SO confused to this day on how it works and I am now dosing the micro and macro ferts from GLA starter green pack. I am also now just started the paintball co2, so they wont be any fluctuations in the ph and co2...

Tags
algae, black, hair, lighting, string