Feeding Stinging Nettle - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 AM   #31
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Are those ARIATS in your photo??? I'm an Ariat addict...
HAHAHAHA, goodness no..I wish. Those are some el cheapo boots my mom bought for me to knock around the farm in. And she must thing I'm still 14 because it's like baby blue flowers on the upper part of the boot. I normally wear steel toed boots around the horses but they started hurting my back so switched it up to see if it would get better. I was trying to get a pic of that plant next to my jeans so it would stand out better. LOL!

Back to your regular shrimp scheduled program

Can anybody tell for sure if those pics I posted are stinging nettle? If nobody can tell I'm gonna dig it up (cause it won't 'pull' up...stuck in the ground strong) and drag it down to the Agricultural office just to be 100% sure.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #32
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
HAHAHAHA, goodness no..I wish. Those are some el cheapo boots my mom bought for me to knock around the farm in. And she must thing I'm still 14 because it's like baby blue flowers on the upper part of the boot. I normally wear steel toed boots around the horses but they started hurting my back so switched it up to see if it would get better. I was trying to get a pic of that plant next to my jeans so it would stand out better. LOL!
I love boots... I'm a complete boot whore. And Ariats are by far my faves. I had a great pair of composite toe boots that were really nice for around the horses. They hurt, though!

Quote:
Back to your regular shrimp scheduled program

Can anybody tell for sure if those pics I posted are stinging nettle? If nobody can tell I'm gonna dig it up (cause it won't 'pull' up...stuck in the ground strong) and drag it down to the Agricultural office just to be 100% sure.
Sorry about the boot segway... Those look almost identical to the ones my mom grew, BUT, plants often look a bit different out here due to the fact that there isn't much water. They tend to grow more compact. I love the extension offices for IDing stuff.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #33
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Yeah in england they grow every were .A tip on touching/handling them without a sting. The tiny hairs only grow 1 direction , brush up on the leaf = sting . brush downwards = no sting .

But yeah i def will be trying nettles as a food source nxt summer.
Thanks
Back home we were always told to rub Dock leaves on the rash after being stung. It still hurt so im not sure if that was a myth or not ha ha

I think the nettle plant has to be the ugliest plant ever !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

So I purchased some from RavensGate on here and my shrimp love it. I dropped it in about 2 hours ago and they are still going nuts.

hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #35
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

YAY! Pics!!!! I never think to take pics of mine eating and half the time they drag it behind a plant and I can't see them with it.

Glad to see they are liking it. I can't wait for Spring time now that I know where the plants are. I'm sure it's going to be WAY yummier in the Spring than it is late fall
Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #36
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
So I purchased some from RavensGate on here and my shrimp love it. I dropped it in about 2 hours ago and they are still going nuts.

Is it Fresh one ?
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #37
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Well as fresh as it can be for USPS not delivering in a timely manner (been in the mail since last monday and arrived today I believe). I pick fresh and ship the same day. But this morning I checked one pasture and the larger leaves were starting to wither and die. Not sure if it's the end of the growing season or what but I'm going to check my main large patches in another pasture tomorrow to see. The smaller leaves looked fine, just the older leaves were looking pretty bad even since last week when I was picking so many.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #38
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Is it Fresh one ?
Yeh they came fresh. I put the rest of them in the freezer and will be blanching each week. My shrimp seem to love this much better than spinach.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #39
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one.

The pot of nettle I posted in October 2012 is now out-of-control:

That's TWO WEEKS of growth. I trimmed it all the way down just two weeks ago.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #40
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Very nice Jake!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

For the record: I'm still reeling from accidentally brushing into the plant a little bit ago.

Learn from my mistake, folks, look but don't touch! Ha.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #42
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Cool!

I use to hate these plants as a kid growing up, having my fair share of brushups with them obviously. Just so you all know, you can actually touch the plant with the palm side of your hands and the needles won't pierce through. Don't try with any other part of your body. Touch at your own risk of course .

Time to go looking for some at the local park now. haha
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you live in area that has Asian's grocery don't bother growing it. I buy it from my local grocery for about $1.25 for a big bundle that could last the shrimp months (depending on the population and how much you feed). I feed 1-2 leaves every other days.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Cool!

I use to hate these plants as a kid growing up, having my fair share of brushups with them obviously. Just so you all know, you can actually touch the plant with the palm side of your hands and the needles won't pierce through. Don't try with any other part of your body. Touch at your own risk of course .

Time to go looking for some at the local park now. haha
They taste very good with Vietnamese noodle =) Try it very minty flavor.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's all fun and games until you accidentally brush your face into it while watering your other plants.

CookieM: I agree with you on the flavor - it's great in soups.