Any tips on Red Claw Macro shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Any tips on Red Claw Macro shrimp?

My Red Claw Macros are arriving in another week or so. I'm pretty well prepared for them via internet sources, but I'd like to have some tips from people here since- to me- this forum is most valuable resourceful I have!

From reading, they are treated very similarly to CPOs. (Very opportunistic feeders. ) so need a species only tank.

Will not harm plants, but will eat pond/ramshorn snails and hair algae.

Some people have had better luck feeding flakes and veggies, rather than discs or spinach.

Any other tips? Thanks in advance, guys!
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

keep lots of hiding spots or they will merk a freshly molted one. havent seen them eat hair algea but they do love snails, also will hunt fish if giving the chance i just saw two fighting over a endler give them a meat treat once in a while.

i havent seen to much on how long they live but my bro has kept one for over 3 years havent seen him for a month or so but they hide very well in that tank but i think he finally kicked the bucket. they need a large foot print i wouldnt go more than 4 adults in a 20L as the large male was about 3inch for his body lenght. the babys we got are just not gettin to adult size so no little ones yet but hope for some so i cant help u with that area but for scaping i really like lace rock as the shapes allow for very nice caves if not they will be fighting alot more for the few hiding spots you have which will eliminate your sub dominate shrimp.

mine are definatly more on the carnivore side vs the herbivore side of being an omnivore, idk bout everyone elses.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks hypnotic, I appreciate your insight.

I figure I would do pvc- like for CPOs- for hiding spots. I think I'll do it in a honey comb pattern on the back wall, as I have a 20 tall, and it will add more surface area for bio and hiding. I thought about cholla, but I decided against it since the RCM have long arms.

I'm really looking forward to them since they are supposed to have larger personalities than dwarf shrimp.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i personally dont like the stacking of pvc as have yet to see them like them, from my experiance they tend to like caves that arent right next to one another thats why i went with lace rock stacked simalar to making a reef with lots of hiding spots. also the large dom male took over a cave that was 4inch, its made out of a morter/grout id go that route over pvc looks better if u have any exposed areas an after all we like pleasing things to look at.

for that size tank i have a feeling 3-4 is going to be were it will balance out to even if u start with more juvis, we started with 8 @.75inch juvis an even with all the caves they slowly weed out the weaker ones till a balance is made, they dont behave like cardina or neos and will eat them but ive had a colony of rcs in one 10 with two that did fine just dont use expensive shirmp to try if u are thinking of going that route.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Only going to use a species only tank, so no worries there. I know some people have had success keeping them and cherries together, but I don't keep any combination tanks anyways. heh

I only have 5 coming in, so we'll see what happens as far as group control goes. I'm told they won't harm the fems, but the males can be territorial depending on personality...again, a lot like CPOs.

Good tip to know to keep the caves separate from each other.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Yeah, that makes sense if they are like CPOs. I have a pyramid of 3 PVC pipes and I've yet to see a cray in the top one.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote