First planted tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
New2Planting
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First planted tank!

Hello, I am new here and have been reading up a little on planted tanks and have been inspired to start up one and see how it goes.

I have a 5 gallon cube tank that I will be adding LED lights which should be plenty for a planted tank.

I have ordered eco-complete substrate and I will add a few pieces of rock and such for the fish to swim around/hide in.

As far as fish go, I made a fish wish list.

I really would like these:
5 Cardinal Tetra
3 Von Rio Flame Tetra

Are all the fish okay with shrimp and plants?

Cherry Red Shrimp..how many should I start with?

As far as plants go, I really want Dwarf Baby Tears to fill the bottom of the tank, I also really like Anubia nana petite and plan to put it near the back of the tank.

Do you think this would work?

Last edited by New2Planting; 11-27-2012 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: narrowing fish list
New2Planting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

It looks like you'd be very overstocked. A betta would be good for a 5g. But would be iffy with shrimp. I've had one with adult red cherry and amano shrimp, but there was never a cherry baby to be seen. I'm sure it would be the same for crystal red shrimp. Also, cories are very social and better in groups of 5-6 or more. Maybe you could have some pygmy cories and some shrimp.

www.aqadvisor.com

Someone showed me this site, and its great to play around with to see what will go well in your tank. Hope that helps!
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
New2Planting
Algae Grower

Do you think the betta could eat the adult shrimp? and yeah I was thinking I would be over-crowded so no Cory's.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

MY betta never ate any of MY adult shrimp. However, I seem to have had a very docile betta (got along with guppies too). With enough plant coverage and a quiet betta you might be fine. But I wouldn't test it with super expensive shrimp!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
New2Planting
Algae Grower

Hmm.. So what if I take out the Betta as well and just leave it as a tetra and CRS tank with a few plants?

Do you think that is a better idea? The tetras wouldnt eat them would they?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tetras may eat any babies, but should be fine with adults. However tetras are shoaling fish and should be in bigger numbers then you could probably fit in a 5g. Although maybe with some really good filtration you could do 6 or so? There are also some micro fish, sorry don't know the names offhand (micro rasboras?). I know there are some small Fluval tanks, lots of people do great things with nanos. Have you thought about concentrating on just a shrimp tank? Browsing and searching through the nano forum could really help you to narrow down what might work best for you.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
New2Planting
Algae Grower

Yeah I have been browsing the forums and searching the internet whenever I have had time. I am used to reef aquariums but I have a 5 Gallon that I figured I would try out as a planted tank for something new.

I have looked at a lot of the nano's and it seems like there are a lot of different opinions on how many and what kinds of fish for a nano (as there always seems to be with anything aquarium related). If all goes well I may invest in a 10 long or 12 long that is rimless so I have a place for the fish and potentially more.

If I get a bigger tank then I would make sure there are numerous places for shrimps to hide from fish so they can be safe several places in the aquarium.

I think right now as this is my first planted tank and I want fish I will stick to the cheaper Cherry Red Shrimp, just incase a lot of the babies turn out to be snacks.

Since I am used to Reef tanks I would prefer to stick to the whole ecosystem, which is hard such a small tank. But if I can make fish, some plants and some shrimp work I think I will be satisfied and may upgrade so everything will fit a little better.