AquaKai's 55g Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
AquaKai
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

AquaKai's 55g Build

Hey there! It's been quite some time since I last worked on this tank. I have, um, forgotten to work on this tank because my other, smaller, tanks have been needing my attention more. And well it takes a bit more $ to do a 55 than a 10g

So, I got some plants yesterday and I'm still figuring out what to do with them, but here's the technical information:
Tank Size: 55g
Filter: Currently 2 weird filters that were in my turtle tank (need to get a better one)
Heater: a 250W heater
Lighting: Currently very litte, um just 1 15W CFL, but I'm getting a nicer light soon (I'll address this later)

Fauna:
x5 Diamond Tetra
x1 Peppered Cory
x3 Panda Cory
x2 Angelfish

Flora:
Anubias (some kind...)
Loads of Pennywort
Loads of Cardamine
Telanthera
Italian Val
Green Cabomba

I haven't put any of the plants in yet (besides the anubias), but here are the current pictures:

My Darling Angelfish:

Right Side of tank:

Left Side of Tank:

Bag O' Plants:

So that's what it looks like... Yeah, not too pretty:whistle:. But hopefully it'll start looking spiffy soon enough! I'll upload some pictures if I figure out where to put everything!

Also, if you have any ideas on some good (not too expensive) lighting I'd be forever greatful Currently I'm thinking about just going out and getting some stock lighting to put on top with the proper kelvin bulbs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I was starting out and didn't have much to spend on lights I went with the odyessa 48" 2 bulb T5HO for my 55, it worked really great for me. I know some people don't like them so maybe look them up but I never had any problems with it and it was second hand at that.

I think you can do good things with this tank, I kinda miss my 55
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
AquaKai
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
When I was starting out and didn't have much to spend on lights I went with the odyessa 48" 2 bulb T5HO for my 55, it worked really great for me. I know some people don't like them so maybe look them up but I never had any problems with it and it was second hand at that.

I think you can do good things with this tank, I kinda miss my 55
I'll definitely look into those bulbs. Thank you! It is great to hear that you like them.

And thanks, I'm going to try to do something at least some what presentable but I'm not the best at aquascaping It's good to see that there is hope!

Tags
55g, aquarium, build, planted, plants