ADA 120H + 60p - Page 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #286
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Man that CO2 is KICKING boy, lol!!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #287
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Bps = one solid stream
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #288
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL that is not the co2 that is regular air i run at nights
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #289
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On the 60p: is that e. tenellus and glosso in the foreground? Interesting combo... Got any closer shots?

Wow the growth on the 120h is awesome! Clean those pipes I've noticed my pipes are super clear and get no buildup since I installed my LED's. I think I'm getting much less spillover, so nothing grows on the pipes - it's kinda nice! Do the ADA lights have some kind of shutter to trim the spillover? Looking good, man!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #290
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Bps = one solid stream
WTF?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
LOL that is not the co2 that is regular air i run at nights
Oh I was going to say, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
On the 60p: is that e. tenellus and glosso in the foreground? Interesting combo... Got any closer shots?

Wow the growth on the 120h is awesome! Clean those pipes I've noticed my pipes are super clear and get no buildup since I installed my LED's. I think I'm getting much less spillover, so nothing grows on the pipes - it's kinda nice! Do the ADA lights have some kind of shutter to trim the spillover? Looking good, man!
Yes, those damn pipes need a serious cleaning, but I can state authoritatively that my use of LEDs has also dramatically reduced the algae buildup on my glassware, though I'm not certain how to attribute it. TBS may be right, perhaps it is because there is a lot less "spillover" but I find that the damn fixtures still pump out enough light (though with a noticeable difference in comparison to traditional light bulbs) to make want to have a cover for them on the sides...
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #291
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bps = one solid stream - i am not kidding
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #292
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you guys mean you do not like my brown and green pipes. I tough they added an artistic flair. i do clean them every month.

what you see as far as plants on the 60p are HC mixed in with micro swords B. and some Blyxa Japonica
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #293
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
WTF?!

Oh I was going to say, LOL!

Yes, those damn pipes need a serious cleaning, but I can state authoritatively that my use of LEDs has also dramatically reduced the algae buildup on my glassware, though I'm not certain how to attribute it. TBS may be right, perhaps it is because there is a lot less "spillover" but I find that the damn fixtures still pump out enough light (though with a noticeable difference in comparison to traditional light bulbs) to make want to have a cover for them on the sides...
I don't know if this is true but I have read reports in saltwater tanks where algae growth was reduced when LED lighting is used. I am not sure if this is correct but it might be attributed to the LED lights we have not being true/full spectrum like T5 or MH. Cleaner spectrum? Not sure, but it's a thought.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #294
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I don't know if this is true but I have read reports in saltwater tanks where algae growth was reduced when LED lighting is used. I am not sure if this is correct but it might be attributed to the LED lights we have not being true/full spectrum like T5 or MH. Cleaner spectrum? Not sure, but it's a thought.
Well it's interesting that you posit that theory Green_Flash, because the one thing that I DO like about LEDs is that their precise nanometer measurements in the spectrum range. Perhaps it is indeed a factor of "cleaner spectrum" at work, but either way I'm pleased. I did a ridiculous amount of reading before biting the bullet on these two fixtures and they cost a pretty penny to be sure, but given my results so far (and I'm not even using Aquasoil) I would say they have proven themselves quite adept at growing a very frustrating foreground plant. And if that is the sine qua non of success that these LEDs have proven their worth in that department. Now the real question is what would happen if I had decided to use HC or Glosso instead and would I have had the same results. A more comprehensive, long-term analysis would be in order in order to determine if my current success could be reproduced with a wider variety of plants under the same (current) conditions. Maybe when I get tired of this arrangement and switch to HC or Glosso we may well see if your/our theory proves to be an accurate one. But that is not to say that my lily pipes do not get dirty they do - but no where near the frequency or pace that they did when under different lighting types like T5's or T8's, etc.

Last edited by styxx; 11-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: *
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #295
KFryman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like how the tank 120 looks. So nice and lush! Will you be doing a major trim soon?

I remember you saying it was air some where... Forgot though.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #296
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFryman View Post
I like how the tank 120 looks. So nice and lush! Will you be doing a major trim soon?

I remember you saying it was air some where... Forgot though.
I trim that tank every 4 or 5 weeks, I am going to re-escape it early next year
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #297
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like how simple the 60p is. More pics!
ADAtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #298
switch26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like how you mentioned most of your furniture is from Herman Miller.. That stuff is made in my hometown.. I use to work there in college.. so you better enjoy the hard work i put into your furniture!

Running air at night doesn't give you any algae issues? My tank's always had algae issues if i ran air at night. If you have a good balance you shouldn't need it anymore i would think
switch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #299
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i am glad to know Herman Miller still makes their furniture in the USA. air increases oxygenation which is great for beneficial bacteria.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #300
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Just read all 20 pages. very nice and congratulations on your accomplishments you deserve it for all your hard work in your life. I'm looking forward to the rescape next year and what you have in mind for it. Thanks for sharing once more

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote