Could use some assistance with a 2.5 shimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
plantednano
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Could use some assistance with a 2.5 shimp tank

Finally time to set up a tank. Going to be picking up an aqueon 2.5 gallon for my bookshelf tomorrow.

This is my first endeavor into planted aquariums so I'm a little overwhelmed. (so many plant names to remember!)
My goal is for green simplicity with a colony of shrimp.

Plan:
Filter: Tom's internal filter 45 gph
Light: Not sure (thinking an 16" under cabinet florescent tube, ones i see range from 8-15 watts)
Substrate: Seachem Flourite black
hardscape is undecided (unless i come across a nice piece of wood in the next few days)
If anyone has any suggestions for different equipment than listed above would be great. (specially a light under ~$30)

Ok so here’s the part that I could really use assistance with:
Setting up the scape, Being a small tank going in a book case i want to try and keep it open and as spacious feeling as possible. I have been browsing TPT for months now and have some idea what I want, but actually making it happen and work with plants is another story.
If i go the route of flat stones i would place them on an inclined area to the right side of the tank.
If I can find a piece of driftwood that resembles a small tree (unlikely as it hasn't happened yet in my local fish stores) I want an open foreground with a moss covered tree to one side.

Also any tips on setting up with Flourite? Root tabs etc?

The most important part! PLANTS
Fissidens Fontanus
Dwarf Hairgrass
maybe Pogostemon Helferi
I like the look of blyxa japonica
Problem is my mental database of flora is limited so im having a hard time picturing a finished product.

Any recommendations on flora would be awesome. Being new to this, easy to care for plants are the goal. I will be attempting DIY C02 for this tank.
Goal is to make this a low budget, low tech experiment tank before setting up a high tech 5 gallon (that is currently still occupied by frogs)
plantednano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well since no one's replied yet I guess I will.

Your first shrimp should be a neocaridina species like RCS because they're hardy. DIY CO2 will be fine with Neos too. Flourite doesn't have any nutrients in it until you start fertilizing so it's a good idea to have root tabs. Your lighting may be okay for a 2.5 gallon but you may want to switch to a 10w or a 13w CFL in a desk lamp if the lighting isn't bright enough since most of the plants you suggested require high lighting. Also, blyxa japonica can grow really big, so you might need to trim it often. Good luck with the tank.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Double post sorry

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
plantednano
Algae Grower

Awesome! thanks.
pretty much what i was looking to know.

Just little things someone would experience would know.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

just get a desklamp for the tank with a compact florescent in the right spectrum (home depot sells some that are 5000k i believe, or maybe they were 6500K... whatever, either works just fine, as does 10000K).

for you plant list, i would swap out "dwarf hairgrass" (e. acicularis) for belem hairgrass (e. belem). its smaller, so its more in scale with the tank. e. acicularis is tall enough for a background plant in a 2.5 gal. its just a super small tank.

are you gonna go CO2 or no CO2?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
just get a desklamp for the tank with a compact florescent in the right spectrum (home depot sells some that are 5000k i believe, or maybe they were 6500K... whatever, either works just fine, as does 10000K).

for you plant list, i would swap out "dwarf hairgrass" (e. acicularis) for belem hairgrass (e. belem). its smaller, so its more in scale with the tank. e. acicularis is tall enough for a background plant in a 2.5 gal. its just a super small tank.

are you gonna go CO2 or no CO2?
Eleocharis parvula works well too. I don't know if its smaller than E. belem but it only grew to an inch max in my 2.5. Plus you can buy it in the little plant packages at petsmart.

BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
plantednano
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions!

Started a thread for the tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...74#post2089474