Angel Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Angel Question

I have a 40 gallon bow front tank with plants. I have in the tank about 10 neon tetras two dwarf guramies(sp) two panda catfish and three Angel fish.
I bought six a cpl of weeks back but three have died not sure why Ive tested my water everything is fine. I thought they had ick so I treated them for that but they never ate. They would swim around as if they were happy nipping on the plants but one by one they died. The three that I have left are acting the same way but they are eating blood worms freeze dried and frozen as well as freeze dried shrimp. Ive seen no ick no scratching just seem to be happy. My question is should I add a cpl more of the angel? I know they like to be in schools. I wouldn't add any until atlest another week to make sure these three make it.
Also if I dont need to add more angels could I add some conga tetras or is my tank pretty well stocked? Oh yeah not sure if congas are jumpers or not but my tank has no hood.
Thanks
patrick
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash

Hi Patrick. Regarding your stocking level, follow this link.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

Your fish probably aren't adult sized yet, but your tank will one day be overstocked.

As for the deaths, can you identify strange behaviors, including activity before it died, open wounds, fin damage?

Also, how did you acclimate them?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Calvin
the only thing I saw was one crystal looking thing on the side of one of the angels. Other than that nothing. No gasping no cuts nothing on their fins. If I didnt know they werent eating I would have thought they were happy. then the day they would pass they would just sit at the bottom and the next morn they were dead. I take about an hour to acclimate. I set the bag in the water wait 15 min then add a hlaf a cup every 15 min
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

Ah, I guess its just one of those things. At least its not happening to Angels you've had for a while. Keep an eye on the remaining three.

With three angels instead of six, you're tank will be okay and you might have room for one or two more panda corys, who would appreciate more of their species. Mess around with the Aqcalculator and try to stay below 130%. I guesstimated your tank dimensions and you should enter your filter. When you bookmark it, it saves what you've entered so you can go back to it.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Calvin I love that link looks like I need to add some pandas. I have a fluval canister for a 40 gallon and a hob for a 30 gallon. Right not Im not running carbon but after the angel deaths Im starting to think maybe I should? I do bi weekly water changes I am a little guilty of over feeding.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
cprash
Keeper of Pencilfish

Carbon's not necessary if you've got good, healthy plants. It seems your other fish are doing okay. It's possible your Angels were stressed between the supplier and the LFS and you could be getting the brunt of that right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well I did buy them right after the storm so it def could be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.