rimless tanks, driftwood, plants, livestock sources
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

rimless tanks, driftwood, plants, livestock sources

So where is the best places for these locally? I am in Canton. I have checked out a couple LFS real close to home, but they did not have healthy live stock and seemed geared more towards saltwater enthusiasts, also their prices were sky high.
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which LFS have you been too? The best driftwood selection ive seen locally is at Preuss Pets in Lansing (have a vid tour on my youtube channel if wanna see that first before the drive). Also Moby Dicks in waterford is pretty nicely stocked for equipment side of things. I may be making a trip down to Fantastic Fins in Livonia tomorrow and if I do, will let you know on their selection currently. As for prices.. ive noticed michigan as a whole is pricey it seems unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

im in canton too and it seems very hit or miss from store to store. like duck said if you have the time drive up to lansing and check out preuss pets hands down best store ive ever been in. ive been buying more and more online just because the selection around here just isnt that great. heres a link to preusses http://preusspets.com/store/

might want to try this place. fantastic fins 38131 Ann Arbor Rd, Livonia, MI 48150 havent been in there in a bit but they did have the best selection of fish ive seen in the area
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

The vid I did of Preuss on my last trip down, http://youtu.be/gPIYt7J_8nI Just the fish portion, they are also an all out pet store (minus dogs)
If I dont get down to Fantastic Fins tomorrow, I am at least going to attempt to get to Moby Dicks to see about some supplies to start my 80g after my upcoming move.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
plantastic37
Planted Member

Does Pruess have snail free plants by any chance? I have been there in the past when I was in to saltwater. Just don't remember if the plant selection was all that wonderful and worth the 2 hour drive round trip. I live pretty close to fantastic fins, but from what I remember when I was into saltwater they did not have any plants. Will check em out anyway.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantastic37 View Post
Does Pruess have snail free plants by any chance? I have been there in the past when I was in to saltwater. Just don't remember if the plant selection was all that wonderful and worth the 2 hour drive round trip. I live pretty close to fantastic fins, but from what I remember when I was into saltwater they did not have any plants. Will check em out anyway.

Thanks for the replies!
From what I've seen in my recent trips, their plants do seem snail free, as I've never seen any signs of snails in their tanks. And they have a pretty large selection but it also sells quickly so may want to call and find out when they get their next shipment, and go in the next day or 2 after. They keep most plants stocked in 3 of their larger tanks, but pretty mixed so I'd also ask if they have it if your looking for something specific.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
plantastic37
Planted Member

Went to Fantastic fins! WOW! What a selection! Some of the rarest fish I have ever seen and some I did not even know existed! What a great place!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Went to Moby Dick's today, bought out what they had for assassin snails. Right now they are low on stock for plants, but order is due on tuesday. They had a fresh order of fish in thursday though and had quite a few that id never seen before. Many different cichlids and TON of schooling fish in high numbers.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

FF does have a nice selection when I went there which I think I went a year ago this time.

Here's a place that has rimless tanks.
http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/default.aspx

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was just at Preuss a few weeks ago and the worker took me into the back breeding room and we picked out some amazing guppies from back there, it was really amazing to see.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
mattschaefer92
Algae Grower

I used to work at Preuss. It's actually a pretty cool store. I still generally get my fish from there, although I would like to try out the Fish Doctors since it's close to where I live now.
mattschaefer92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I'm wishing that Preuss was closer to me. I keeping hearing how this is such a great store but it's soooooooo far from where I live.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
chazde3
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I'm wishing that Preuss was closer to me. I keeping hearing how this is such a great store but it's soooooooo far from where I live.
No you don't haha. I live within a mile and my wallet does not appreciate it. I already have about $75 from my check on Friday spent there lol. A nice group of 4 Juliodichromis Transcriptus for my cichlid tank and a few green tetras for my new desktop planted tank at work .
chazde3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I try to avoid the closer LFSs. I don't spend a lot in the stores when I go but it eventually just adds up and later I think I should of went a different one. It's nice to check out LFS that you haven't been too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.