co2 leak problem can anyone help?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

co2 leak problem can anyone help?

ok so here is my issue

i turn my co2 tank on and turn regulator to 40psi... leave it over night and check back again in the morning (11 hr later) and psi drop from 40 psi to 35psi... though it was a leak so i check with soap and water but no leaks that i can tell nor any bubbles from the soapy water... is it normal to get this kinda drop? assuming that in the tank it comes out cold and once out in the regulator it drop due to room temp but i could be wrong any help?

p.s. i turn on to 40 psi then shut off the 5lb tank valve and leave it over night etc
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (104/100%)

This is kind of a weird problem. The low pressure gauge shouldn't drop unless you're loosing pressure internally in the reg. The opposite is usually the issue.

So you...

1 turn to the desired psi
2 open the solenoid
3 note the pressure change if any
4 close the solenoid
5 let it sit
6 note psi
7 come back several times later and note psi
8 report findings
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1. co2 tank valve open - turn to 40 psi
2. plug in solenoid
3. psi drop by 1-3psi but some times it doesnt drop (normal as pressure moves through the piping)
4. unplug the solenoid - co2 tank valve close
5. letting it sit at about 40 psi
6. Update: still get that 3-5psi drop after the next day

7. Will leave it alone for 1 more day and see if there is any change in psi drop will update tmr on this

P.S. most likely will as this has been done before... it will drop down about 3-5psi from 40psi set... over the next 11hr give or take... if there was a leak should/wouldnt the co2 inside the regulator reach down to 0 if not more then 50% thats in the regulator to start with? due to the fact that the co2 tank has been shut off and what is left is the 40psi that was left inside the regulator once the solenoid and co2 tank valve are shut off...

i took precaution n test with soapy water and found no bubbles of leak with the co2 valve open and re soap the area where the regulator connects to the tank and down to the solenoid no bubbles and soap it up 3 times and still no bubbles

Last edited by Bryanmc1988; 11-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Details added
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I am curious; why are you closing the CO2 cylinder as well? I assume this was only for investigative purposes and that you don't normally close the cylinder?

I am not sure what regulator you are using, but did you check the emergency relief valve as well? Might as well be thorough.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes I have check the relief valve alsO and no leaks there sorry for got to mention it but no leaks and the tank valve is close to see if all my fitting have a leak or not that is why it was close to test for leaks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.