Scape Ideas for a Mr Aqua 12g Long?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592

Scape Ideas for a Mr Aqua 12g Long?

Needless to say, despite my best efforts, I really hate this tank. And I would like some advice on rescaping it. The problem I ran into is that it's too narrow for almost everything and the length just adds to the difficulty of creating something that's pleasant to look at. So anyone have some ideas? I have tons of spare dwarf hair grass and two pots of marsilea minuta left. I'm thinking of selling off the rocks and getting a bunch of tiny ones to replace them.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
ony
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think thew only real problem with this layout is the slope. If you had a more gradual incline it would look far more natural, it would also help with the sense of depth if you lower the front and slope up towards the back of the tank
ony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

looks like you had the right idea but backwards. the scene looks like we are looking from behind the mountain rather than the front of it.
scapes should never be high in the front, unless you were going after something specific.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

Trouble I had was because its so narrow. The slope would have been too steep and the rocks looked out of place because of the sharp incline. It needed to be more gradual. That all being said, now that the carpet has a root system I may be able to pul them up and scoop out the substrate and replant just to see. Can't be any worse.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

i know what you mean but that's part of scaping. creating the illusion of it being a larger space than it really is. i think you have the right idea. maybe transplant some carpeting and shift the rocks towards the back for start.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Don't worry, I replaced my rocks a couple of time after the tank was planted... It's a PITA! I'm still not 100% satisfied with my scape and to this day am collecting stones that I think will fit for my next incarnation of this tank. But don't give up on this.

Check out the 12G Rimless Club, If you haven't already.

BTW, Your 20L looks great! Good luck.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice carpet, and those rocks have potential!

Check out the link in my signature to see my 12g Long, it is currently dry starting. It might give you some ideas of how to rescape your tank, let me know what ya think.

What filter are you using with yours?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Don't worry, I replaced my rocks a couple of time after the tank was planted... It's a PITA! I'm still not 100% satisfied with my scape and to this day am collecting stones that I think will fit for my next incarnation of this tank. But don't give up on this.

Check out the 12G Rimless Club, If you haven't already.

BTW, Your 20L looks great! Good luck.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee View Post
Nice carpet, and those rocks have potential!

Check out the link in my signature to see my 12g Long, it is currently dry starting. It might give you some ideas of how to rescape your tank, let me know what ya think.

What filter are you using with yours?
You need more plants.

It's a Finnex PX-360. Seems to be working well.

Just finished redoing the tank a bit. Thankfully the marsilea minuta had quite the thick root system making it easier to replant and make "mats". I'll snap a pic of it once it's clear.

All this is left over:

Also removed two Akadama stones:

Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

Better I think. Even made $25 off of part of the carpet I ripped out.

I may ended up ripping out all of the hairgrass and replace it with marsilea. Also those two largest rocks in the middle and on the left need to go.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I kinda like the middle rocks, they make it look like a craggy rugged chunk of foothills but it's your tank so you gotta be happy with it.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I first glanced it I immediately thought your look would be completed with some nice tall Vals in the back side of both corners. As long as you keep them to the back and run allong the back wall, I think the rocks will look fabulous just as they are right now! Give it a try! They might give just what you were looking for If it doesn't work...you can always try to rescape a bit. But I really encourage you to try Vals first. Maybe even have them turn the corner following the glass on the sides of the tank...just a touch though not allowing the to go beyond the first 1/4 of the side glass.

After looking at the last picture with the plants filled in and a bit taller...maybe even try the Vals on the Left side first...maybe leaving the right side open like a "meadow".

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
ony
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
Better I think. Even made $25 off of part of the carpet I ripped out.

I may ended up ripping out all of the hairgrass and replace it with marsilea. Also those two largest rocks in the middle and on the left need to go.
Beautiful, I would consider making the carpet transition more diagonal so you aren't looking down it. I think that would increase the sense of depth, soften the transition and allow you to weed out a channel if one plant was invading the other. Other than that I think continuing to fiddle with it is risky, its so easy to keep changing things until you ruin it.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Tcal01
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

wow this looks way better. it would be cool if you let the two carpets mix together and then added some Vesuvius swords along the center slope
Tcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
When I first glanced it I immediately thought your look would be completed with some nice tall Vals in the back side of both corners. As long as you keep them to the back and run allong the back wall, I think the rocks will look fabulous just as they are right now! Give it a try! They might give just what you were looking for If it doesn't work...you can always try to rescape a bit. But I really encourage you to try Vals first. Maybe even have them turn the corner following the glass on the sides of the tank...just a touch though not allowing the to go beyond the first 1/4 of the side glass.

After looking at the last picture with the plants filled in and a bit taller...maybe even try the Vals on the Left side first...maybe leaving the right side open like a "meadow".

Good luck!
Not familiar with "Vals?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
Beautiful, I would consider making the carpet transition more diagonal so you aren't looking down it. I think that would increase the sense of depth, soften the transition and allow you to weed out a channel if one plant was invading the other. Other than that I think continuing to fiddle with it is risky, its so easy to keep changing things until you ruin it.
It's hard to see, but I planted some hairgrass in a diagonal in front near the edges of the marsilea to help make the transition seem more "natural".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcal01 View Post
wow this looks way better. it would be cool if you let the two carpets mix together and then added some Vesuvius swords along the center slope

They will eventually (and already are in some parts). I had dividers in the substate before I planted to stop the hairgrass from taking over the tank like it did in my 20g. Since hairgrass sends runners from below first where the marsilea goes from the top, it should be more manageable in the future I hope. The hairgrass will also be trimmed with maybe 10mm sticking up above the substrate after it fills in completely, should be a nice effect.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh I am sorry. I shouldn't use "nick-names" for plants. I meant corkscrew vallisneria. Very pretty plant. Another nice one is Vallisneria Nana.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.