Good Regulator for the Price or can I get better? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #16
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Can you link me to any? Specifics are important to me. If it's ebay you can just PM me a link, if that's okay with the mods.
Check your PM

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
clang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
And where does one buy the parts to make a regulator?
Matt F. wrote an excellent article about building regulators. He used very good two stage regulators, Burkert solenoids, Ideal needle valves and Swagelok pipe fittings. There are lots of pictures and links to various items. I hope this helps you.
clang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

If you want to build a set, darkblade48 and oldpunk78 both have detail instructions, in FAQ and this section.

And there are some good parts available currently, really good price, on evilbay.
They are the Parker Hannifin high precision metering and low power consumption Burkert 2822 solenoid, both are stainless steel
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clang View Post
Matt F. wrote an excellent article about building regulators. He used very good two stage regulators, Burkert solenoids, Ideal needle valves and Swagelok pipe fittings. There are lots of pictures and links to various items. I hope this helps you.
That, and many other how-to threads over at TBR are awesome reads for anybody who wants to build their own rig. However, those threads are designed by and for people who have some serious cash to blow on a rig. Using the regs they advocate, with the stainless Swagelok fittings they link, and the Burkert and Ideal valves will cost you several hundred dollars (best guess, $200-500 depending on brass/SS, check valve or no, bubble counter, and cost of Evilbay regulator).

You can dramatically cut that cost down. Brass works just as well as SS, there are a number of solenoids that work just as well as a Burkert, there are several models of metering valves that are more precise than an Ideal, barbs are much cheaper than compression fittings, and you can buy (much cheaper) interchangeable and identical, or almost identical, parts from Evilbay instead of Swagelok (Kor-lok, Tylok, Hylok, Let-lok, A-lok, D-lok, Dk-lok, Duolok to name a few). Heck, even Swagelok parts can be much cheaper on Evilbay. And, as far as the regulator itself, any functional dual stage reg with a 60 to 200 max psi gauge will work for our purposes (30 psi, or even down to 15 psi if you go with a reactor rather than diffuser). Remember, this is the gauge range I'm talking about, not actual max output pressure.

So, to answer an earlier question - where do you find the parts for a rig? - the answer is Evilbay. And it takes some work. But, financially, it can be a massive savings over buying the standard "stock" parts from regular online dealers.

Do some (a *lot*) of reading, making sure to take not of when "facts" are disputed by a number of people, and also taking note of the people who seem to actually know what they're talking about (not me - I lie!) and what they say. And then pick something you'd like to either copy or use as a base model, and figure out what all the parts are, and what you'd like to use.

The most difficult decision will be the solenoid - everybody has an opinion. The Burkert wins, no contest. Because it's the best? Well, no. Because it's very dependable, at a high, but not too high, price, and has 1/8" ports, and doesn't require any adapter - just a basic power cord. You can absolutely find solenoids that will run just as long, at a lower temperature, for a lower price, but the disadvantages are that almost nobody in this hobby has ever heard of them (so almost nobody can recommend them), and you'll need to spend $3-5 on an AC/DC adapter, and then connect two wires with a method of your choice. Price difference? Maybe $15-30 all told, plus an extra 20 minutes of your time. Worth it? Depends on whether you're a "sticks and rocks??? F*** that, I'm not paying for that s***" kind of person.

Metering valve, right now, get a Parker H3L from Evilbay. You won't find anything of that value (as in, the value it has for our purposes, not any sort of financial value) at that price ever again. It kicks the crap out of anything that anybody here or at TBR has ever advocated using, and is (currently) cheaper than pretty much every single one of them.

Okay, this started as a simple commentary on the TBR reads, but it evolved. Sorry
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
ekaser
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Help me finish this, Please!

ok. I bought the regulator, the solenoid and the needle valve. The regulator is a CGA 590. Where do I get the fittings to put all this together? I am sure I will need an adapter to connect the regulator to a co2 tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Let's go for a Lexus:

2-stage brand new SS regulator (Item 261122941006) ~$110 shipped
Top of the line brand new SS solenoid (150936952401) ~$43 shipped
Top of the line brand new SS needle valve (130798547411) ~$28 shipped
JBJ-style BC: ~$12
Power converter ~$6
NPT Brass connectors: say, $30

Grand Total: ~$230

You can build a Camry for ~$50 less
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #21
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

Hit up a local welding supply for the cga-320 nut and nipple and just about any well stocked hardware store should have the rest of the pipe fittings you'll need. I wrote a how-to that might help you with assembly:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=148509
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
Darkblade48

Welding stores, as oldpunk78 mentioned, should carry the CGA320 nut. However, if you have stores that cater to home beer-making/beer-brewing, I would check them as well.

I got my CGA320 nuts from a local beer-brewing store, and it was cheaper (even with shipping included, by a few dollars) than from the welding store.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

I highly recommend Green Leaf Aquarium regulators. I got the Primo and have been EXTREMELY impressed with pre and post sales support! Orlando is fantastic!
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #24
ekaser
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help. I will pursue the change from 590 to 320. I hope the parts that OVT recommended are good (I assume they are) because I bought what he recommended. I believe that if I am going to do this I only want to do it once. A Lexus works for me.

Thanks OVT. I will post a picture of my set up once it is up and running.

Ed
Old 11-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
...good stuff...

Okay, this started as a simple commentary on the TBR reads, but it evolved. Sorry

I know it's early and I'm on my second 16 oz. espresso, but I can't for the life of me figure out what TBR means! hahahaha!

Oh getting old sucks!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

The Barr Report, I think.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #27
ekaser
Algae Grower

Default Matheson 3800

I bought the Matheson 3800. I changed the canister connection to CGA 320. What do I need to do to connect the Burkert 6011 to the Matheson 3800? The Matheson has 2 valves. Do I remove the second valve? I cannot determine the fitting needed to make this connection. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #28
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

You're going to need at least a 1/4 x 1/8 npt hex reducing nipple. Your out port is usually the one at the 9 o'clock position. Below that is usually a relief valve or a plug or both. I can't remember the porting off hand so a pic would be cool.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Darkblade48

I hope I am correct in assuming that this is the regulator you have?

Or at least something similar?

If you are talking about the valve on the left hand side, you will need to first remove it.

Then as oldpunk78 mentioned, you will likely need the 1/4" to 1/8" reducing nipple. If the reducer does not have a 1/8" male NPT end, you will need to get a 1/8" male hex nipple as well so that you can connect it to the Burkert 6011.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
reel1090
Algae Grower

Hi,
I am using a Milwaukee regulator with bubble counter and solenoid. So far it has been reliable. What will a more expensive system buy me?
reel1090 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.