Road trip this Sat!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oregon

Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
notropis
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Road trip this Sat!

Yahoo. I get to go on a road trip and will be able (husband-willing) to make a brief lfs stop or two.

Where should I go between Sutherlin and Canby along I-5?

I'm going to pass on the Nautilus in Springfield because that's my normal stop.
I figure the one in Albany.
Where else to go?
EHEIM 2213 #317
notropis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

the one in albany is pretty cool, nice space but kinda low quality care for fish. you can come to animal house in corvallis if you can, its my lfs and i like it, tho the space is crouded... so if your afraid of small dark places, best to not go. lol
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Where are you coming from? If you're up here in Portland then you already know of The Wet Spot and the World of Wet Pets
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
notropis
Planted Member

Allentan - I may be able to talk spouse into diverting from I-5 long enough to hit Corvallis. Disappointed to hear that albany may not be great for fish.

jkan-I'm actually coming from the south and not making it as far north as Portland (only to Canby area - maybe Wilsonville if there is anything there)
EHEIM 2213 #317
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

I don't know of anything down in wilsonville. Although the outlet mall there is nice

But I honestly think The Wet Spot is worth an extra 30 min drive.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
notropis
Planted Member

If this was a tried & true pure blue lfs road trip I would...I've never been. But it's not
EHEIM 2213 #317
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
notropis
Planted Member

Default Finishing up this thread

I only made it to All For Fish in Albany (after accomplishing the main tip goals). Boy did the game day traffic suck big time. Anyway, my first time at AFF - friendly staff, good basic selection, better selection of plants than I am used to, some cloudy tanks, some tanks in QT, a couple tanks with a single dead fish. Not the place to go for shrimp, although one of the staff mentioned he was trying out cherries to breed. I took home all (9) of their pygmy cories (even though they were labeled as hasbrosus) to keep my 2 at home company in the 10 gal shrimp tank. And 2 nerite snails - one olive and I don't know what the other is, a dark purple color - they are going in the 20 gal..

Everybody is good. The poor pygmys were miserable in the store, huddled in the back corner of the tank. I told my SO I was getting the least interesting fish in the store! (He always likes the fish that need a bigger tank but so far that hasn't convinced him to let me have one.) They seem much happier in the planted tank at home, good activity.

Not overwhelmed or overimpressed but it is an easy stop off I-5 and I'd go back if I was passing through. They did have black neons (? I can't remember already) that did catch my eye. I was hoping for dwarf cichlids (Pelvicachromus taeniatus) as I have a lonely female in the 20 gal, but no such luck.
EHEIM 2213 #317