My Madagascar Inspired Mantella Paludarium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
Just so everyone knows I have gone both routes and have had success when it comes to misters the DIY is a low pressure setup that works well but usually requires a pump in the setup to do and it is a larger spray (not really a mist) the setups from places like mistking use a high pressure pump and produce a very fine mist, it all comes down to price but the basic package with one mister for a mistking is $99 so not terribly bad if you are misting a large area the. It goes up as you add more nozzles. One thing I have learned about DIY is that what seems cheaper in the beginning a lot of times ends up being just as expensive when you are done.

Len
Yup, there are affordable misters out there. But for this tank, i didn't want the fine mist. I wanted actual "rain" in an effort to mimic seasons and breeding. Now the clay dart tank i have plans for, that will have a misting system. And i could have run an external reservoir for the pump, but i wanted a self-contained system. You know as well as anyone that with numerous tanks, we need to find efficient maintenance routines.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I'm actually happy the Len brought this up. I just want everyone to understand, i built this rain system not because i was looking for a cheap way to build a mister, but because i wanted to simulate rain. These frogs are dependent on rainy and dry seasons for breeding. So instead of removing them and placing them in a rain chamber for breeding, i opted for this system, which i hope will mimic their natural environment.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Very clever.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks shrimp! When are we going to see a new build from you?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I actually have a mistking mister and a pump that runs a drip line I thought of adding sprinklers for the exact effect you are after. The mister though does a good job with watering everything but I like the idea of a a heavier rain type setup. My tank also floods twice a day so watering is really just for the higher plants in the tank that are above the flood level. I'm planning on some needed maintenance and pictures over the next week so look out for pics in the near future.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice set-up. Looks like I need to order some of those sprinkler heads. I tried something similar using the ACE Hardware drip system and set it up with a MJ1200 for the pump. It works, but I don't quite get the directed rain effect I wanted. If you don't mine me asking, what are you using for a timer. I find the 15 minute interval causes issues with flooding in my 30gal paludarium set-up.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Well, since my system is all self contained, i'm planning on using a 7 day digital timer. As my seasons change, i'll adjust my rain cycles accordingly.

Now, what i thought you could adapt from this for your african tank is t-off your output hose, run a length of 1/2" across the top, jack in a 1/4" adapter with a valve to adjust flow and then foam as you like. Does that make sense?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Well, since my system is all self contained, i'm planning on using a 7 day digital timer. As my seasons change, i'll adjust my rain cycles accordingly.

Now, what i thought you could adapt from this for your african tank is t-off your output hose, run a length of 1/2" across the top, jack in a 1/4" adapter with a valve to adjust flow and then foam as you like. Does that make sense?
Yep it does, might be simpler than the return manifold I got going right now. If you get a chance, check the thread and give me your thoughts will you?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197926
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #24
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I actually have a mistking mister and a pump that runs a drip line I thought of adding sprinklers for the exact effect you are after. The mister though does a good job with watering everything but I like the idea of a a heavier rain type setup. My tank also floods twice a day so watering is really just for the higher plants in the tank that are above the flood level. I'm planning on some needed maintenance and pictures over the next week so look out for pics in the near future.

Len
cool len, i look forward to seeing the updates. i need to read your thread again (it's been a while). i want a refresher on your tidal system. definitely one of the coolest things i have seen in a palu.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

all sides are now covered, and will be allowed to dry for a week before i fill 'er up and work on the rain system. if all goes well, we'll be planting the aquatics this time next week. that is, if i get a stand built, pick up new bulbs for my fixture and another bag of substrate, i think. here's where we are at today
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #26
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

lookin great. I love the DW all over the place. Does the plastic covering help with tannins getting into your water. I have used similar techniques. How high is the water going to be? when are you gonna cover the rain vines?? I am excited to see how those turn out. Do you ahve the mantellas yet or are they on order
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #27
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

dude....breathe!!!LOL the water level is going to be just at the apex of the underside of the stump. i'll have about 3" or so of water in the main pool and about an inch in the shallow pool. i'm going to cover the vines this week. i have several vines made up already so that i can mix and match different sized vines. to give it a more realistic look.

i want this tank to grow in a bit before i introduce frogs to it, so i am not ordering the mantellas until after the new year. heck, i haven't even decided on terrestrial plants yet...lol i'm going to have 8 mounted orchids in there, 2 from madagascar, and that's the extent of what i have decided above sea level. i do have my heart set on a vanilla orchid draping down from the high right, so i guess that much is set....lol
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #28
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

haha why beat around the bush when there are questions to be answered. good luck
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #29
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is going to be pretty cool!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #30
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
haha why beat around the bush when there are questions to be answered. good luck
point well taken, and we all know i love answering questions, so fire away if you have more.....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.