bps too much? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

so here is my situation. My plants seem to be doing great (except for newly added lace plant - time will tell), fish seem great. My drop checker is now from deep blue to light blue. Do I give my tank some time at this rate and see if the bba stops spreading or do I continue to push the CO2?
mcaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #17
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (135/100%)

I'd go to green, slowly, maybe over a couple of days, and always watch the fish.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #18
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

I have a 90 gal. also w/ 48" 4x54 tek fixture mounted 6" above my tank and I run my co2 through an Aqua medic 1000 using the dual venturi method w/ the bleed vavle ran through the venturi of a mag 7 needle wheel pump. My bps is so fast I can't count.

I was running it 24/7 and just recently put it on a timer to come on 2 hours before lights on and goes off 1 hour before lights off. When ran 24/7 my drop checker was always lime green to yellow and never were the fish showing any signs of distress.Now that it's running on a schedule with the lights it's blue first thing in the morning and lime green by midday. So I have came to the conclusion that even looking at the drop checker is a poor way to gauge how much co2 you have in your tank. It's a lot easier to slowly increase the bps over a few days and watch your plants and fish to determine if your getting the optimal amount of co2 for your tank. Every tank is different from filtration to brand of light fixture, # of plant mass, # of fish, and fert routine.

I have had to add a lot more co2 since adding the Tek light and wet/dry sump. More light means I have to add more co2. Running a wet/dry sump means I have to add more co2. The increased o2 that is in my tank from the sump and the surface movement has gave my that wiggle room when increasing the co2 to make me feel confident I won't gas my fish(which I have before).

How much surface movement do you have?

So to answer your question of if your bps is too much, only you can determine that by slowly increasing it while watching your fish and plants.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

well, nothing is too much until you start seeing problems... haha like algae growth, plants dying, fish dying... ect )
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Ditch reactor. Use the powerhead in the tank with the co2 shoved in the powerhead intake.

I was running the almost the same setup as you and this worked great for me, I actually used less co2 than with the reactor and the response time was at least 4x shorter with the powerhead in the tank.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.