O2 reactor??? Thoughts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

O2 reactor??? Thoughts

I had an idea.. To increase the level of O2 in the HOH, why not install another hose barb on my reactor and pump air into it. Would this not disolve more O2 or air than just running an airstone?

I would love to hear your thoughts.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

CO2 dissolves very easily into water, but O2 is hard to get dissolved into water, and water holds a lot less O2 than CO2. Bubbling air through the water isn't an effective way to get more O2 dissolved. A wet/dry filter is a very effective way to do that, and those can be relatively cheap, for example http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-14003-Fl...r+for+aquarium
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

^best answer you can get
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
CO2 dissolves very easily into water, but O2 is hard to get dissolved into water, and water holds a lot less O2 than CO2. Bubbling air through the water isn't an effective way to get more O2 dissolved. A wet/dry filter is a very effective way to do that, and those can be relatively cheap, for example http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-14003-Fl...r+for+aquarium
Thanks for the reply. I concur that its harder to get the O2 to dissolve into the water. I don't intend to do the standard air stone in the tank method. Do u not think bubbling the air into a Rex style reactor would increase the amount of air O2 dissolved into the water? It seams logical that you would get a higher rate of diffusion than a standard air stone in the water method.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
KH2PO4
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

1. The air will just accumulate there, like when you prime your canister connected to a reactor. You have to find a way to bleed it out.
And if yours is connected to a pump, make sure it's powerful enough to expel the bubbles
out of the reactor.

2. Normal air pump is not powerful enough to push air into it, IME.
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
Thanks for the reply. I concur that its harder to get the O2 to dissolve into the water. I don't intend to do the standard air stone in the tank method. Do u not think bubbling the air into a Rex style reactor would increase the amount of air O2 dissolved into the water? It seams logical that you would get a higher rate of diffusion than a standard air stone in the water method.
You'd probably get better oxygenation using an air stone in the tank than pumping air into a reactor. An air stone adds O2 by breaking the surface tension of the water which increases the rate of gas exchange at the surface. Since you have a larger surface area in the tank than the reactor you would do better by just using an airstone in the tank. The stone in the tank also will increase circulation somewhat, moving more oxygenated water throughout the tank and bringing less oxygenated water to the surface.

Aside from a wet dry filter, adding a powerhead or a prop type pump like a Koralia would probably be more effective, or at least more aesthetically pleasing, than an air stone. You might also think about connecting a surface skimmer to your filter. Surface skimming can be very affective in aiding oxygenation also.
Jeff5614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
I had an idea.. To increase the level of O2 in the HOH, why not install another hose barb on my reactor and pump air into it. Would this not disolve more O2 or air than just running an airstone?

I OFTEN considered this..

then i went to a wet/dry filter. the benefits are pretty easily noticeable.

also at night i have a needlewheel pump that spits tons of bubbles into my sumo area that get sucked into the main pump. these micro bubbles increase the water/air surface area A LOT.. i no longer have debris buildup anywhere in my tank. it all gets efficiently eaten by bacteria at this point
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

What about injecting O2 in the same manner as CO2, assuming for a moment that sourcing it is not an issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
What about injecting O2 in the same manner as CO2, assuming for a moment that sourcing it is not an issue.

Sourcing isn't bad. i had considered that route. going as far as getting pricing from the same place that fills my c02 tank

it doesn't dissolve well, that's the main issue. AND IT CAN BE LETHAL

too much into the water and u have dead fish..
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

My O2 reactor is a big rectangular tank with plants in it. I pump co2 into it and shine lights on the plants.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
My O2 reactor is a big rectangular tank with plants in it. I pump co2 into it and shine lights on the plants.
You should post that in the DIY forum.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer
You should post that in the DIY forum.
I think I like both of you.

To the OP - I think breaking the surface tension of the water (a surface skimmer was already mentioned) or using a spray bar is your best bet if you don't want to use a wet/dry. I'm no expert admitedly.
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Optix
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:

I do exactly that...and its quite easy to do
...hook up a cheap air pump on a separate airline tube and check valve and inject it into my reactor right before lights out (because plants are not converting CO2 at night)...it mists the tank and the bubble is gone by the morning

my fish used to gasp at the surface in the mornings -they stopped doing that but personally I think they were just being dramatic because when the lights turned on, they would swim mid tank with no problems after less than 10mins

since then, Ive given away my fish and started my tank over...but will probably reconnect it after my tank has established and cycled
ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
I do exactly that...and its quite easy to do
...hook up a cheap air pump on a separate airline tube and check valve and inject it into my reactor right before lights out (because plants are not converting CO2 at night)...it mists the tank and the bubble is gone by the morning

my fish used to gasp at the surface in the mornings -they stopped doing that but personally I think they were just being dramatic because when the lights turned on, they would swim mid tank with no problems after less than 10mins

since then, Ive given away my fish and started my tank over...but will probably reconnect it after my tank has established and cycled
Simple surface agitation should have fixed that plants don't absorb that much oxygen, nor do they release that much co2..
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Optix
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I know...I do it more for my benefit than the fish

but I try to minimize surface agitation to maximize the amount of CO2 that stays in the water when the lights are on
ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is online now   Reply With Quote